Outdoor paint

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Was asked to make a outdoor sign. Will be using white oak.

They wanted the letters painted black. Plan on usi g spar urethane to seal it. But not sure what type of paint would be best for the lettering and that is compaowitb the spar.

Do I use regular outdoor paint then apply the spar?

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
my experience with spar urethane on outside wood has left me very disappointed. I have no other product experience, but others may suggest an epoxy.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Yes--Polyurethane will go on top of exterior paint. Be sure to lightly sand (320 grit) and thoroughly clean it before you apply the poly. Two coats should suffice. If the sanding lightens the black lettering, apply a 2nd coat.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Thanks, Outdoor paint lightly sand ,reapply paint if black lightens, then I lightly sand black the apply 2 coats of spar after cleaning.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Seal the wood first, then prime, then apply the paint. Especially, with dark colors or they will fade. Assume 2-3 top coats. Or the color can be blotchy.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Seal the wood first, then prime, then apply the paint. Especially, with dark colors or they will fade. Assume 2-3 top coats. Or the color can be blotchy.
Seal it with the spar or a sanding sealer? The letters will be routed into the board.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Me ? I use thinned down shellac or thinned down resin (resin thinned down with acetone), sanding sealers work fine, But those are what I am used to. The other thing I use is auto primer sealer, but this really is best with harder woods. My recommendation is to experiment with different types and see which works best for your specific condition.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
One Shot gloss enamel sign paint.

Or DuPont Acrylic enamel automotive paint.
I hadn't thought of automotive paints. If you go this route buy enough automotive clear coat in spray cans to cover entire sign, all 4 sides. This way you eliminate any compatibility issues between different finishes.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
If you do go with an epoxy to seal the wood you will want togive it UV protection with a good varnish. Epoxy under urethane is a good combination. The epoxy seals and stabilizes the wood providing a good surface for the urethane to adhere to. The urethane protects the epoxy from UV. I’ve been using Halcyon spar varnish recently and like it a lot. Available in water clear or amber tint to mimic traditional varnishes.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree with the sign paint. It will hold up best.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS