Other Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Just clicked over to Saw Mill Creek to see what's going on. WOW!

How old is that site? They have 245 MEMBERS on line and almost that many guests! NO, I'm not a proponent of "Bigger is better!"

I'm not jumping ship, just looking for thoughts on why they're so big!

Staff?

:notworthy:

Glennbear

Glenn
My guess is that the size is because of it's longevity and also because it is not geographically limited. I like the fact that our site is pretty much limited to a particular region thus keeping it more locally relevant. Sometimes smaller is better. :gar-Bi

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Here's a guess....

NC WW audience = North Carolina, a handful from South Carolina & Virginia, and some stray folks elsewhere
SMC audience = World

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
They do have a lot of members, but it doesn't seem like "as many" posts as we have on NCWW (just my perception, never compared the details). As mentioned, that site is open to just about anyone, anywhere which makes their target market much larger. Another forum site is trying to get legs too (actually saw it on a Google ad on NCWW.com) called woodforums.org -- but things are slow moving. I think they too are trying to compete with the SMC forum with an unrestricted target market.

Forums, forums, forums ... I'm happy with my NCWW!

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
SMC grew out of a smaller site called Badger Pond. I was a member there way back when, The pond was better and much more intimate. The individual who ran the Pond wanted to move his life in a different direction, but allowed others to port a lot of the content over to SMC. Thus SMC startes out with a long time base of users. It does have members all over the world. However, a lot of the features that used to be free are only available to contributors, e.g. posting and responding to classifieds, and contests. It is also difficult/impossible to communicate with people from JUST your geographic area.

It serves a purpose. It is just too unweildy for me.

M

McRabbet

I review SMC 3-4 times a week for issues that interest me -- one key contributor is the President of Grizzly Tools who helps solve customer service problems when issues arise by members (he gets them solved!) and one of my favorite topics - dust collection. But Doug's points are well taken and believe me, this is home!

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I never liked SMC, but I have been spending time on Lumberjocks. There seems to be alot of good wwodworking content there. :icon_thum

G_ville_worker

New User
Bryan
I check that out from time to time. Like other have said I like the local nature of this site. I am not a member at SMC though. I would like to be mostly so I can see the pictures of peoples work. I've never been able to register. No matter what I make up as a user name it says it's taken. Do any SMC members know if they have stopped allowing people to join?

M

McRabbet

I'm registered with my real name. If yours is taken, add a number or middle initial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS