Oregonian in the Camel City

Reference Handiwork

Ref
Senior User
Hey team!

I just wanted to introduce myself! My name is Jason and I'm relatively new to Winston Salem. My wife and I moved here from Oregon in July to be near her family. I've managed to shoehorn a tiny shop into our basement in a 1923 home and I've been making cutting boards, small furniture, random whatnots, and toy cars. I'm a lifelong tinkerer with a problematic addiction for old cars and motorcycles. (I daily drive an El Camino and have owned/restored a bunch of stuff: Ford Falcon, VW Bus, Plymouth Fury, Hodaka Ace 100, and so on.)

I'm a children's librarian by day, but a woodworker by night and weekends. Not quite batman, but sort of a dual personality. I currently sell my stuff at craft markets and to family and friends as "Reference Handiwork," but I may soon drop that pretense and just brand my stuff with my initials.

I'm really enjoying the community and info available on this forum!

Anyway, here are some photos of wooden things I've made:

IMG_20211125_134854236.jpg
IMG_20211119_184239298_HDR.jpg
DSC_1241 (1).JPG
DSC_1171.JPG
IMG_20201230_170552684.jpg

DSC_1145 (3).JPG
DSC_1100 (2).JPG

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Welcome and thanks for adding your input to the site.

That deck in pic 5 (I think). It's awesome. Is that at your new place or old? Never gave much consideration to doing an epoxy sealed deck before. Now I think I'll explore that.

The countertop. Is that teak? If not what kind of wood is it?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Welcome Jason,
I live North of Winston, sometimes teach beginner turning projects at The Sawtooth Center.
My wife is a librarian with Masters in Book Arts, I make textile weave designs and have a small shop in my basement.

NCWW is have our annual picnic in a couple weeks, would like to see you there and chat a bit.

Enjoy the website and if we can help with anything please don’t hesitate to ask.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
OK Jason, great looking stuff you're making but...you really caught my attention when you said you restored a Hodaka Ace 100! See growing up my father was a Hodaka dealer and I rode them all! I learned to ride on a Ace 100. The Combat Wombat was an awesome bike! but the Super Rat, wow! So how did you come upon the Ace 100? I gotta know?

Reference Handiwork

Ref
Senior User
Welcome and thanks for adding your input to the site.

That deck in pic 5 (I think). It's awesome. Is that at your new place or old? Never gave much consideration to doing an epoxy sealed deck before. Now I think I'll explore that.

The countertop. Is that teak? If not what kind of wood is it?
Thanks for the kind words! The piece of wood that the cutting boards are on is actually a bench on the porch of our old place in Portland, OR. IT was one of my first ever woodworking projects. I think it's a piece of black walnut, but I'm not sure. It was sitting in our back yard and I mostly started on it because it was in the way, but when I started hand planing it I saw it needed to become something useful. It's got a few coats of spar varnish on it and some wax. I hope that our renters there are still enjoying it!

The countertops are something special. It's mixed species hardwood that was taken from pallets that were used to ship raw steel into the Port of Portland. It was a real adventure milling those down for glue up. I used a rockwell contractor saw and a lot of patience. I took them to a custom milling place to run through their massive planer and after some cuts and fiddling (okay, lots of fiddling) I finished them with Osmo hard wax oil. They turned out better than I expected.

Reference Handiwork

Ref
Senior User
OK Jason, great looking stuff you're making but...you really caught my attention when you said you restored a Hodaka Ace 100! See growing up my father was a Hodaka dealer and I rode them all! I learned to ride on a Ace 100. The Combat Wombat was an awesome bike! but the Super Rat, wow! So how did you come upon the Ace 100? I gotta know?
OMG that must have been so cool to have access to those bikes! I have never ridden any of the other Hodakas, but I would love to try one of the bigger bikes out.

I found a 69 Ace 100 at a garage sale in Moscow, Idaho and restored it in the attic apartment I was living in. Powder coated the frame and put a lot of new components on it. I think that what sold me on it was the stainless steel gas tank! So cool and unique. It was a really fun project and quite a thing to ride. I felt like I was riding around on a two stroke chain saw---I wasn't sneaking up on anyone, that's for sure. I recently acquired a 69 Honda Dream CA 305 and am looking forward to digging into that project as well.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors