Option to banish For Sale from the home page?

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
First, thanks for all the great work the webmasters and board are doing to improve the website. Y'all put in a lot of thankless hours I'm sure. Something that was great about the old separate classifieds system is that people's ads didn't clog up the discussion board, particularly on the main page that lists the newest posts. While the classifieds are great, I don't need to have every odd biscuit joiner brought to my attention. I would propose that either users are given the option to hide content from certain forums, or perhaps make this the default. That way we could turn off the ads unless we specifically wanted to look at them every time we logged in.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I didn't always go over to the classifieds. Having them on the main page lets me see them. Besides what's wrong with them being on the main page? Most of the time they are very small post.

Pop

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I agree with Pop. It doesn't seem too intrusive to me, and if you don't want to see it, its easy enough to scroll past.

I'm not opposed to giving people the option to block any particular forum, if that is easy enough to set up.

gritz

New User
Robert
I also preferred the ability to click a box in the header to see the entire list of items for sale or wanted when I am interested in such.
It's pretty cumbersome to scroll all the way through most of the forum list to get to the for sale forum.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
if you want to see the for sale listings quickly, click on the box to the right of the screen.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Just my 2¢ I don't see it as a big enough deal for the mods to need to go in and change it. If you are reading through the new discussions titles and see one that says for sale, skip it and go to the next.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
It doesn't seem to work correctly for me. When I click on the brown title bar "LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS" the what's new page comes up. It does not link to the for sale forum.

If I click on one of the ads under the title bar it brings me to that ad. From there I can click on the for sale forum link at the top of the post.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
What a slippery slope this is. I don't mind the for sale items, they are at least woodworking related. If you banish those, I imagine all the gardening, HVAC, car, salad, food and other non woodworking posts would be next. Leave it as it is, skip what you don't want to read and move on.....

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
It doesn't seem to work correctly for me. When I click on the brown title bar "LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS" the what's new page comes up. It does not link to the for sale forum.

If I click on one of the ads under the title bar it brings me to that ad. From there I can click on the for sale forum link at the top of the post.

You have to hover over "LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS and wait for it to turn into a hyperlink you can click.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
A few points to expand on my original post:

- I guess having the classifieds on the main page have made the site feel more transactional to me, less like a community for discussing woodworking.
- I end up clicking on threads with vague titles thinking it's a discussion about the title, but really it's just an ad. I know the forum name is right there but it's tiny and not very visible. Maybe automatically prefacing classifieds titles with FOR SALE: or WANTED: would make this less of an issue.
- I don't care that much :D

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
You have to hover over "LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS and wait for it to turn into a hyperlink you can click.

That happens pretty much instantly once the cursor is on the title bar. Clicking on that link still brings me to the Whats New page.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
you are absolutely right Mark. I thought when I clicked earlier it took me to that specific forum, must have been a brain-fart.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
A few points to expand on my original post:

- I guess having the classifieds on the main page have made the site feel more transactional to me, less like a community for discussing woodworking.
- I end up clicking on threads with vague titles thinking it's a discussion about the title, but really it's just an ad. I know the forum name is right there but it's tiny and not very visible. Maybe automatically prefacing classifieds titles with FOR SALE: or WANTED: would make this less of an issue.
- I don't care that much :D
Richard, are you talking about the "latest for sale listings" on the right side of the page or forum posts in the discussion feed?

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Richard, are you talking about the "latest for sale listings" on the right side of the page or forum posts in the discussion feed?

To clarify, I am talking about the "for sale" threads showing up in the discussion feed. The "Latest for-sale listings" column I hardly notice, and that seems like a much better place for these sale notices than in the discussion listing.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors