Opinions on Video: Useing 7-1/4" Blades on Table Saw???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
The title says it all. I can see the advantages of using a small blade on a 10" table saw, but, is it safe? This video provides several sample cuts using said blade: https://youtu.be/Hez7__x0ZSI.

Last edited:

SubGuy

New User
Zach
I can see when it could be handy for cutting thin kerf small things and when you need to cut sketchy wood. Don't think safety is an issue as circular saws run at over 5,000 rpm and most table saws run at 3,500 ish.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Don't have a dedicated ripper, try a 24 tooth, 7 1/4" Diablo blade. Works on stock 1 1/2" thick, or less. Cuts like a hot knife in butter.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
but, is it safe?

What safety issues were you envisioning?

I've occasionally used a 71/4" circular saw blade in the ts for thin kerf cuts in the end grain of wide boards as a starter cut for a handsaw. A Roubo folding bookstand.

P5090344.jpg

P5090345.jpg

Absinthe

New User
Abs
Don't all jump on me at once, but before I had a dado stack, I found I could use a few 7-1/4" blades mounted together to the same effect. I know it is not optimal, and in certain cases can be dangerous but it worked well at the time.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
It's not dangerous at all. The only area you need to look at is the Throat plate. And is your splitter or riving knife the right thickness

Touchwood

New User
Don
I use an Amana 48 tooth 8" whenever I must have a super clean crosscut. Its rated at 6700 rpm so no issue on the ts. Its also very quiet.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I've done it in the past too. Also I use a 6" dado blade set. It's all good.

Red

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Same here on 6" dado blades. I remember my 8" Craftsman table saw on a stand. Very light, I could carry it anywhere. Who remembers the steel blades that were so versatile? There was a blade called a planer blade that cut so smooth, it needed no sanding. Worked well for me to make raised panel doors. The 7 1/4" blades also came in handy on that saw when my 8" blades were dull, and I needed a sharp blade now. I look around my shop today and wonder how I ever lived without the modern machines I have, and all the special tooling. Then I think back to making really nice furniture with a 1966 Craftsman 7" saw, 8" table saw, a handheld B&D router table of pressed steel, and a handful of steel router bits. By 1970 I thought I had a well equipped and modern woodshop with just those tools, and my hand tools.

Sp00ks

New User
Jerry
I watched that the other day. I'm not sure I would even think about doing that by default. I'll definately keep it in mind.

@sawman101 It amazes me to think about pre-power tools. I have big respect for those craftsman.

Something about the guy irritates me, I can't put my finger on it. However; I continue to watch his videos and respect his work.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Many thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences and insight regarding us[FONT=&quot]ing a 7-1/4" blade on a TS. Before watching the video the advantages of using a smaller, thinner blade had not occurred to me. My primary interest is in sawing smaller pieces.[/FONT]

What safety issues were you envisioning?

On the face it seemed dangerous to use these blades in an "off the label" manner. Good to learn my hesitation was baseless.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors