Opinions on mesh pad for random-orbit?

Madmaxnkitty

New User
Rick
Hi Folks,

I make end-grain cutting boards, and working out the 120-grit striation from the drum-sander with my 5" random-orbit is such a chore. I'm thinking either a grit coarser than 80 on the RO, or maybe a pad that doesn't load as quickly, hence the question; what's the opinion of the room on those abrasive-mesh pads?

20220201_115142.jpg
Thanks!

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I've used the Diablo SandNet discs on my 5" ROS and they work quite well. They might be a little longer-lasting than paper discs, but the biggest advantage is they don't load up nearly as badly as paper discs especially the finer grits.

I recently got a Rotex 150 and I bought a bunch of Klingspor paper discs for it, but then I saw the 3M Xtract Cubitron II net discs and I want to try those. The reviews have been overwhelmingly positive.

They have sample packs of different grits in both 5" and 6" to try them out.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Came here to post the exact video Martin did. really great comparison. I have the Diablo mesh, and they work well, much better than the cheapo clothbacked ones I was using. When that stash runs out, I'll be trying the Cubitron

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Forget everything else. The new 3M Etract (cubitron blend) is far better than anything else I have ever tried. I bought 5 of the sample packs and will never buy anything else after trying it. "TRY IT, YOU'LL LIKE IT"

Echd

C
User
Yeah, that cubitron 2 stuff is stupidly good, and not that expensive either. There isn't a lot of reason to use other brands on a ROS imo.

Madmaxnkitty

New User
Rick
Done and done! I ordered a sampler of the 3M Xtract Cubitron II discs (what a name!) and a 220-grit drum wrap...we'll see.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Better use a spacer between the net abrasive and your mounting pad. The net is thinner than the hooks on the mounting pad and they wear off. Some companies include one in the box. Others you'll need to supply one.

Roger45

Roger
Corporate Member
Tarhead where do you get the spacer for the net abrasive pads. I like the Cubitron but if I don’t keep it 100% on the wood they fly off

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
The one issue I have experienced with all mesh is it will lose grit if you sand over edges pretty quick. So Solid paper for that detail stuff seems to work better for me on edge work.

But ......... Cubitron is awesome no doubt.

Madmaxnkitty

New User
Rick
I ordered a backer to go with the Cubitron, so we'll see how much that helps. Should I also be looking for a more aggressive sander? It occurs that I'm just using a basic Dewalt 20v RO; is the difference academic without a 'proper' 5 mil 6" unit?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
The one issue I have experienced with all mesh is it will lose grit if you sand over edges pretty quick. So Solid paper for that detail stuff seems to work better for me on edge work.

But ......... Cubitron is awesome no doubt.
well that's a detail I had not heard before - hmmm?!? Since I know that I do that (sand over the edges) a lot, this may not be the product for me.
Thanks Casey - good to know that.

Reactions: Oka

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Cubitron makes a paper version, I use that if I am doing a bunch of edgy stuff. It has small holes in it but it holds up better. Also, the extra pad that comes with the larger packages of the 3m or Diablo may help in mitigating this.
well that's a detail I had not heard before - hmmm?!? Since I know that I do that (sand over the edges) a lot, this may not be the product for me.

Last edited:

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
A sample pack of the 5" stuff is only $9 on Amazon, cheap enough to see how well it works for you. It has two each of 80, 120, 180, 220, 240, & 320 grit.

kevin waldron

New User
Kevin
I've personally used a lot of random orbital sanders when we owned and operated a musical Instrument building business. Discovered along the way that there is a tremendous difference in orbital machine patterns, orbital machine speeds and size of the head. Might I suggest trying another brand of sander. If you've got a lots of sanding a pneumatic sander will give far better performance and again the patterns and the speed of the orbits makes huge difference in how much material is removed. The other factor is the quality of the sanding pads and the various chemicals used as the substrate to remove wood. There are a number of good quality sanding manufactures but in our determination the random orbiter tool was more important than the grits etc.

kw

"B"

New User
"B"
I've used the Diablo SandNet discs on my 5" ROS and they work quite well. They might be a little longer-lasting than paper discs, but the biggest advantage is they don't load up nearly as badly as paper discs especially the finer grits.

I recently got a Rotex 150 and I bought a bunch of Klingspor paper discs for it, but then I saw the 3M Xtract Cubitron II net discs and I want to try those. The reviews have been overwhelmingly positive.

They have sample packs of different grits in both 5" and 6" to try them out.
3M Xtract Cubitron II net discs are AWESOME!! Long life & allow much of sanding dust through to the vac pick up! I use them whenever I can.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS