Opinions on Earlex Spray Station 5000

Status
Not open for further replies.

roweathers

New User
Ron
I just purchased this HVLP system from Woodcraft in Raleigh. I plan to use for painting/finishing furniture. It is a turbine based system. I would appreciate any opinions (pro or con) and I can take the thing back if necessary.

I have a Porter Cable compressor (150 psi, Job Boss) and perhaps it would be better to use this with a higher quality gun?? If so, what gun would you recommend.

Many thanks,
Ron

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have the Earlex 5000. It's great for clear finishes, I've used it for water-based poly and shellac, and it's pretty much foolproof. Spray and go, so to speak.

I've not had any success with paint. I tried Sherwin Williams Pro Classic (water-based enamel), but could not get it to work properly. I had to thin it rather aggressively with water and Flotrol to get the worst of the orange peel under control, but it still sputtered pretty badly. I had to lay down a pretty 'wet' coat to get it to even out, which had a tendency to cause runs. The thinning also removes any kind of gloss in the paint, and you need more coats. This was with the 2.0mm needle. The 2.5mm needle might do better, never tried it.

Several people have suggested tinted lacquer. That should work much better.

So, paint not great. Everything else, no complaints whatsoever. The gun is easy to use, easy to clean, and it's a nice compact unit.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I also have the Earlex5000 and am very happy with it for clear finishes. I've only sprayed the waterborne finishes and have had excellent results.

As Bas has said, easy to use and easy to clean and the price was right.

Dan C.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Mark Spagnuolo (the wood whisperer) did a video review of the Earlex. Check out thewoodwhisperer.com He did a good review of it and seemed to like it. I think it was called "Music to my Earlex" :)

roweathers

New User
Ron
Thanks for the feedback guys. I feel better about my purchase. I had seen in some of the forum discussions the recommended us of "Target Coatings." Are these available in the Raleigh area?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I sometimes wish I had a turbine unit when I get tired of hearing my compressor run. I like the results of using my Wagner conversion gun from Gleem Paint spraying Resisthane, a water based finish similar to a pre-cat lacquer, from Hood finishing products. I have also sprayed other water based finishes but not paint - only tinted Resisthane. The Wagner is about $125. Resisthane is about $30/gallon.

Jim

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I sometimes wish I had a turbine unit when I get tired of hearing my compressor run. I like the results of using my Wagner conversion gun from Gleem Paint spraying Resisthane, a water based finish similar to a pre-cat lacquer, from Hood finishing products. I have also sprayed other water based finishes but not paint - only tinted Resisthane. The Wagner is about $125. Resisthane is about $30/gallon.

Jim

It's a trade off. Either listen to the compressor or listen to the turbine. As for Gleem paint, delivery was good and products were good, but I wonder if someone there hijacked my credit card info as shortly after I ordered there my credit card was compromised.

roweathers

New User
Ron
I have done some more research (really dangerous now) and have decided to return the Earlex unopened to Woodcraft and order the Turbinaire model 1245GT. It is a 4 stage turbine vs the 2 stage Earlex. The Turbinaire handles thicker coatings (paint) better. Yeah, it is a big jump in price ($950 vs $350 Earlex), but I think I bought the Earlex more on impluse.

I did look at some other turbines from Fuji, Graco etc., but Woodcraft also sells the Turbinaire and I figured the swap-out would go more smoothly if I stayed with something they carried.

Open to any input at this point :eusa_thin

thanks all
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS