Opinion on jointers

Status
Not open for further replies.

russellellis

New User
Russell
If you had your druthers.....well if you only had two choices i should say...between the Ridgid jointer and the Grizzly G0654 (orG0452) which would you choose? With shipping on the Grizzly, they come out to the same price (at least based on the price of the Ridgid at the local HD). OR!!! unless anyone has a preference for a different but similarly priced model.
Just looking for pros and cons and opinions.

I dont need it to be benchtop mobile anymore since it lives in the garage shop now.
My jobsite bench top just aint cutting it. Really, its not cutting anymore.

I have so much old broken tools, i should do a graveyard theme in my front yard for halloween.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I have the ridgid and it has served my needs well. I have not used anything else so don't have much to compare it to.

Marlin

New User
Marlin
I prefer the Grizz/Shopfox over a rigid. Also you can save $100-200 off the Grizzly if you buy it through eBay and use Live/Paypal money back.

M

McRabbet

I just sold my 6" Grizzly G1182HW and these two Grizzly models you cite are both nicer that it was. The G0654 is a little less expensive because it has a heavy sheet metal base that you assemble (like mine had), while the G0452 has a solid cabinet base that is probably a little more rigid (no pun intended with the other brand!). Both have built-in mobile bases and use dovetailed ways for table adjustment. Mine was always dead on accurate.

I upgraqded to a G0490X (8" with spiral cutterhead). If you could swing it, buy the spiral head version for a few hundred more.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Both tools should joint equally well. The difference is going to be in things like dust collection & built-in mobile base. I have the G0452, I've looked at the 6" Delta and Ridgid machines, and the business end of the machines appear to be identical. The cashback via Live Search is a nice extra incentive to go with Grizzly.

The good news - you can't go wrong here.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I pick-up my Ridgid jointer here on the board and have been very satisfied. Jim

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I bought the Ridgid after much deliberation over it and the equivalent Griz model. What it came down to for me was immediate gratification. I had just won $500 on a radio contest, and I could run down to the local Home Despot and have my jointer that night, vs. waiting a few weeks for one from Griz. Also there is the potential shipping issue. I have mostly Griz equipment and have never had a problem with their shipping, especially when I picked up the machine at the local freight dock instead of waiting for home delivery....but there is always the possibility. With the Ridgid from HD, I could return it as I purchased it.
I have been very happy with the Ridgid, but only have a very old 4" ShopSmith jointer to compare it to.

MTCW,
Dave:)

russellellis

New User
Russell
Thanks for all the info guys.
Shipping damage is one of my concerns, but ive always been able to "convince" companies to replace damaged goods.

As far as the live cashback deal....i couldnt find any deals for the Grizzly or the Ridgid. The Deltas and the Jets that are available are only around 28 bucks back.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Russell,

I had a Grizz and was happy with it until I traded up to a 8". What is the warrantee on the Ridgid ? Is it still a lifetime because that and the fact that you can take it back locally would make me choose it.

Good Luck.

Andy Casiello

New User
Andy
I also have the Grizzly G0452 and I'm very happy with it. It works exactly as it is supposed to. Sounds like the others do too..

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
As far as the live cashback deal....i couldnt find any deals for the Grizzly or the Ridgid. The Deltas and the Jets that are available are only around 28 bucks back.
In my experience, if you contact Grizzly and tell them you would like them to put something no ebay so you can purchase it with the cashback, they will do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS