Oops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threejs

New User
David
So I was working in the shop this past Sunday, and was cutting the corners off some walnut squares with my chop saw. Well, my second youngest came out to talk, and watch me work. That in itself was enough for me to make a mistake. I lifted the blade on the chopsaw while it was still winding down, and it caught the cutoff. The cutoff apparently jammed against the fence, so it didn't go anywhere, but it did a number to the Frued blade I was using.

This is the worst tooth, and there are at least 6 or 7 others with damage from this one coming apart. Luckily neither of us was hurt, but I have yet to find any pieces of the tips.

Here is the channel the shrapnel made in the cutoff.

Anyway, looks like I will be replacing the blade this week. I will probably go with a higher tooth count on the next one, and make sure not to lift the blade while it is still spinning.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Wow, I am glad that neither of you were injured by this. It could have been a lot worse.

Rod

New User
Rod
That sounds like one of those stories that ends with some appendage being cut off. I am just 12 months past a partially handicapping accident and caught myself doing the exact same thing while using my bandsaw this weekend!!!!!! What the ****!?!?!?!?!?!? Are our kids that cute???????

I get so mad at myself when I lose focus, especially after last year's incident. Good luck and remember to keep focus. That blade looks BAD. Just think what it could have done to your hand. Congrats on the near miss.
Rod

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
That's no good, but I was glad to hear from you this evening that you didn't get injured. I wouldn't expect the carbide tooth to just break off like that.

I wonder if Freud offers any type of guarantee for this where they would replace the teeth or maybe even better the blade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors