Oops, wood movement

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Got caught this time, still analyzing.

Did these side panels for a kitchen island and just got a message from the cabinet company that one of the end plates developed cracks. See picture.

First time I have an issue with soft Maple.

Analyzing this, I think the wood expanded, moving from my air conditioned shop to a house under construction with high humidity due to the recent weather. The home is not yet air conditioned. The head scratcher is how to prevent this from happening again?

8C495300-C2DB-47AC-8D8F-969CE3DF7DD3.jpeg

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Could seal all 4 sides then the humidity is less of an issue, the heat on the other hand is a different story.

Out here a lot of times they will re-sequence the cabinet install schedule until after the HVAC is on. Even if it is just the fan, makes a big difference.

Last edited:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
It’s unfortunate but I have seen this before, you could have sealed that six ways from Sunday and It probably would have moved anyway. Grain orientation on that piece is the culprit along with the atmosphere differences.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I'm building a cabinet with similar edge to edge siding design. My daughter doesn't want a shiplap pattern. Is the next best option a tongue and groove edge joint?

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Its hard to tell from the picture what exactly Im looking at. Is that a solid wood cabinet rail? Or is it wide?

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Its hard to tell from the picture what exactly Im looking at. Is that a solid wood cabinet rail? Or is it wide?
Kitchen Island ship lap panel, the hairline cracks appeared in a 5” wide 4/4 painted soft maple board, on the left side of the panel, not shown in the picture below.
I agree with Graywolf, that was just bad luck and it can happen even when we do everything right. The lumber was at 8% moisture content during build and free of any checks.
Will go repair Monday on site, sand, fill with a grain filler, sand and re-spray.

2E9F0B55-4BBB-48D4-9CDA-2FBC2DA339F3.jpeg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS