Online Store for NCWW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Seems like we have the same conversations/suggestions over and over but that's Ok. There are always new people and situations change.

We have talked about a NCWW store before. Nobody had the wherewithal to put it together and nobody wanted to be responsible for taking care of the inventory, book keeping, taxes, endless drudgery, etc...

So, are we all the same as before or is someone able to organize donations, build an online store, pack and ship orders, advertise, and be a general manager with volunteer help from all who are able?

I think this could be a unique opportunity for the group, I don't think there is anything like this in the world today and we could be a leader in offering custom hand work from hundreds of super craftsmen at reasonable prices while supporting the best woodworking web site ever.

crisaghemo

New User
Cris
I like the idea of a NCWW store. I think it has potential benefit for the club and the members.
I've a bit of knowledge and experience on this so I'm up for trying to set it up if the group is interested. Would need a lot more info though. PM me if there's interest.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would love to see something like this. If nothing more than to sell logo'ed goods for NCWW. If it can be expanded further than that, great. I believe that will take much more work, but if it can be done, wonderful.

Before somebody reminds me that we can get logo'ed goods from Lands End Outfitters, that is not what I'm referring to. This is a cost to our members that brings us no benefit except advertising. I would like to find someone to maintain an NCWW Store for us and handle the merchandising, inventory and billing. Provide us with a small cut at no expenditure of funds or effort on our part. Guess I'm asking for the moon, but we do get a similar deal from smile.amazon.com on everything sold be them. Now if they just carried NCWW coffee mugs, shirts and hats.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I thought this came up a while back and we found out we do have a Cafe Press account. Someone even unearthed the userid and password. Did that fall through the cracks again?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm thinking more of turned objects, boxes, tools, furniture, shop jigs, and so on...

I will donate some persimmon mallets as soon as I can make them reliably.

Also was thinking projects like the chest of drawers, maybe smaller versions, different objects, different sorts of group projects could be an ongoing enterprise.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My oldest daughter does very well through there. She has to work at marketing and making her shop known, but she gets orders from all over the world.

I think that would work if they allow a group to own a store.

I think at least one member of the board should have access to all the information including passwords and accounts just to keep continuity if the manager resigns or becomes ill or disabled.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I still have my NCWWer golf shirt that I purchased many years ago from the NCWW on-line store but I don't see the store any more and haven't for a long time.

The internet is a black hole - nothing can escape it

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I am in process of putting together an online store. It is a pretty involved process, secure payments, tax calculations, shipping calculations managing inventory etc. You need to have business articles, an EIN etc. I believe it would be hard to manage something like this for the forum, people expect shipping within two business days, the store will have to have the items in physical stock etc.

Once I am up and running, which is probably a couple of weeks away, I will be willing to add a NCWW section. But the only way this will work is if we have a vetting process for what goes into inventory and the items are delivered to me on consignment. I would have to cover my costs and we could probably agree that NCWW also takes a small cut. With a store such as mine, one can also sell on Amizon, ebay etc., but it all costs money.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I don't think it would work to be a part of someone's personal store.

You wouldn't want a board member to have all of your passwords and account information.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I don't think it would work to be a part of someone's personal store.

You wouldn't want a board member to have all of your passwords and account information.

You are correct, I would not allow anyone access to my store. However if items are in my inventory, I would be willing to list them under a NCWW menu, sell them, pack them and deliver to the buyer.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Because it is a non-profit and we would have members donating goods to sell there would have to be transparency and the ability to take over the store in the event of illness or death.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I think this could be worked through, but the store would have to use a NCWW account, have multiple people with access and be a stand alone NCWW store.

Not to say you can't run it and have the inventory in your possession. Just separate from any personal store.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Because it is a non-profit and we would have members donating goods to sell there would have to be transparency and the ability to take over the store in the event of illness or death.

Yep, I missed the non-profit part, sorry. You can do a store from $15 a month up, but it is quite a commitment and responsibility. If anyone wants info on how to do this PM me.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I looked up "vbulletin store" - it looks like there are a few products that integrate in fairly "easily" X-Cart being one of them.

The internet is a black hole - nothing can escape it

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I thought this came up a while back and we found out we do have a Cafe Press account. Someone even unearthed the userid and password. Did that fall through the cracks again?

Cafe Press doesn't work for a number of reasons. Mostly cost of goods versus return.

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
Are you talking about primarily members buying items are selling to the public items that members make?

I used to use a full blown shopping cart but found out that it was more hassle and more horsepower than I needed. Dropped back to using WooCommerce on my Wordpress site. It was free, very easy to use and integrates well with Paypal for payments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors