One more product gone down hill

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I remember when I had a roll of original military duck tape. Yes DUCK as it was rubberized cotton duck cloth. Full weave. Modern tape has ultra thin cloth with slightly thicker reinforcements in about 1/8 x 1/4 spacing. No where near as strong. Does anyone know of any real duck tape being made?

For those confused, DUCK tape, A.K.A. 90 MPH tape, was heavy cotton duck. The rubber adhesive is not long lasting. It turns to goo and eventually power. It is totally unsuitable for sealing DUCTS. Duct tape for HVAC application has synthetic adhesive that lasts decades. Usually aluminum foil or fiber reinforced foil. Real professionals seal ducts with a brush on fiber reinforced filler that lasts longer than we know.

I am not totally sour grapes. Just got a pair of Veritas dovetail gauges. The simple milled angle kind. Finally a marking gauge that works! I can scribe the and face with a knife accurately. NO adjusting, fumbling, or using all those words I learned as a system's admin when someone's mail folder got corrupted.

Last edited:

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I sealed my DC hard pipe with the Nashua as well and am pleased, i was not pleased with the 3m foil tape.

Some of what the military had might have actually been what we called blade tape. Used on the leading edge of helicopters.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I sealed my DC hard pipe with the Nashua as well and am pleased, i was not pleased with the 3m foil tape.

Some of what the military had might have actually been what we called blade tape. Used on the leading edge of helicopters.
Rubber adhesive is not long term. Sticky, water resistant, but degrades.

Of course, part of the mess is the company who brand registered "Duck" as in waterfowl as a brand. So now other brands have to use the incorrect HVAC term "duct" for which it is not suitable.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I've got a strip of Gorilla duct tape holding down a piece of windshield trim on my old '97 pickup. 1 year and still stickin'......

Years ago a friend who worked at the local Navy base gave me a roll of some green duct tape. He said they used on fuselages for quickie repairs or something. Maybe this is the stuff Scott is talking about. Total bad ass.

mark2

Mark
Corporate Member
I like 3m 8979 for most purposes - sticks well and doesn't leave adhesive behind when removed

ChemE75

Tom
User
I’ve had some good results with the gorilla tape. Strong adhesive. But it has left some goo oozing around the edges when I patched up some cracked plastic on the arm rest of an old office chair.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors