One mans trash is another mans treasure

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
My son's boss told him to take these pieces and burn them, Instead he brought them to me.

Start.jpg

This is what I built from one of the pieces. Solid Oak, hand planed and scraped the old finish off and cut out the rot. Finished with General Finishes Enduro-Var.

Finished.jpg

Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
That find qualifies you for the Olympic Gold Medal in Dumpster Diving! :icon_cheers

toolferone

New User
Tom
Very nice looking outcome. I would love to know what you took from what piece and how you married them together.

KC7CN

New User
Don
That find qualifies you for the Olympic Gold Medal in Dumpster Diving! :icon_cheers

I agree! Dumpster Diving is fun! I found this dresser in a dumpster - couldn't find the missing leg.

After

Rick - you did a great job of restoring those pieces. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

-Don

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Very nice looking outcome. I would love to know what you took from what piece and how you married them together.

Tom,

It's actually made from one of the pieces, I have 3 left to play with. It came apart easily all the glue joints were lose. I did the drawers first, I figured that once I got them done I would know how big the case needed to be. I had to make new backs for the drawers but was able to salvage fronts, sides, bottoms and guides. I had to make a new back right leg because the original was too far gone to salvage. I also had to replace to side panels with 1/4" oak plywood. I stained the new pieces to match the old wood. I plugged the old mortises with scrap from cutting down the drawer fronts and cut new mortises. I tried to match the joinery used in the original construction. I used cut offs from the rails to make drawer pulls. They have a nice cove and bead profile. I cut the top and backsplash down to size and attached it with metal clips, originally it was attached with screws through the rails.

It really was a lot of fun, I got to use my hand plane and scrapers a lot. It's not like building from scratch where everything is straight and has clean sharp edges. Warps and dings add character to the finished piece. It's like "antiques made to order".

dozer

Mike
Nice job can't wait to see what the rest of the pieces will look like when they are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS