Once more- what is it?

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
I pulled this from my stash thinking it was cherry - but it's not as orange, has gray streaks and seems a little harder than cherry. Like cherry it scorches especially on end grain, but that sands off much easier than cherry.
20231122_110413.jpg

This is sanded and wipe down w/ MS.
20231122_110530.jpg

Compared to (What I believe is cherry)
20231122_110537.jpg

Detail of unusual knot structure- I've seen similar in cherry.

Is this a variety of cherry?
Mike

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I am by no means an expert on wood identification but that looks like cherry to me. I am currently working on a grandfather clock (cherry) and have found the boards to vary in shading. If the past is predictive of the future in a few months all will even out.

Last edited:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I believe both the boards in your 2nd pic are cherry. The one on the left looks like it may have been exposed to more sunlight than the one on the right, or it has been aging longer. Both cases would cause the darker/redder color you're seeing.

Bill E

Bill
User
I pulled this from my stash thinking it was cherry - but it's not as orange, has gray streaks and seems a little harder than cherry. Like cherry it scorches especially on end grain, but that sands off much easier than cherry.
View attachment 223506
This is sanded and wipe down w/ MS.
View attachment 223507
Compared to (What I believe is cherry)
View attachment 223508
Detail of unusual knot structure- I've seen similar in cherry.

Is this a variety of cherry?
Mike
IT is 99% CHERRY
Bill E

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
Agree cherry and don’t think it’s jatoba. Jatoba usually has a more reddish / brown look to it and the grain has a different look (that looks more typical cherry to me). Jatoba’s also hard as rock and heavy, and will dull a saw blade in short order. I’ve worked with it but don’t enjoy it.

old-delta

Wes
Senior User
Have to agree with the other replies. Definitely Cherry.
Have many Cherry furniture pieces including bedroom suite. piece on right seems to have been exposed to ultraviolet light but definitely cherry family.

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
Follow up: although the consensus was American Cherry I believe it's likely Jatoba. Finished boxes, with identical finish (BLO followed by oil-based wipe-on Poly and Ren wax. Both were surfaced so it's probably not aging. The unknown box has a sheen and depth of grain the known cherry doesn't:

20231227_124531.jpg

20231227_124514.jpg

I know it's hard to tell with photos, so I appreciate everyone's input!
Mike

Last edited:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Follow up: although the consensus was American Cherry I believe it's likely Jatoba. Finished boxes, with identical finish (BLO followed by oil-based wipe-on Poly and Ren wax. Both were surfaced so it's probably not aging. The unknown box has a sheen and depth of grain the known cherry doesn't:

View attachment 224470
View attachment 224471
I know it's hard to tell with photos, so I appreciate everyone's input!
Mike
The left bottom is a quartersawn Cherry. The right is flatsawn. You should have smelled Cherry when machining it.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
should be easy to discern ......domestic Cherry (roughly 3.1lb/bd.ft.) is lighter than Jatoba... If it feels heavier, then it is Jatoba (roughly 4.8lb/bd.ft.)

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jatoba is, on average, nearly 3x as hard as black cherry (2690 vs 950 janka) and nearly 2x as dense (.91 vs .56 specific gravity at 12% MC).

It could be european/sweet cherry, which is only ~20% harder (1150 vs 950 janka) and a similar density (.60 vs .56 at 12% MC).

Another possibility is that the board came from a black cherry tree that grew in a place that gave it slightly different characteristics than you're accustomed to.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS