Once again needing. This time LED lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Right now I have 4- 4 tube Fluorescent lights that are 4 foot long each in the garage/shop area ceiling, and one LED over the tool boxes.
I want to replace the 4 on the ceiling with LED 5000k lights and 2 LEDs over the new counter I just built.
Does anyone have any pointers where to get the best deals, or if I am even looking for the right lights. I read the 5000k LEDs should give me great daylight in the shop. I want to wire the 4 on the ceiling together as the the 4 are wired now, and the 2 over the counter can either be joined with the 4 on ceiling or just on pull chains.
The ceiling is 9' high.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
You left the Ballast hooked up?
I have the understanding that if you leave the ballast connected that you are using more electricity then if you removed them. Also that the ballast can cause premature wear on the LEDs. Just what I read on one of the sites.
So far I have watched some videos where they are using existing fixtures and changing the tombstones over for the LED and removing the ballast and doing the wiring as normal. Seems easy, just not sure of best place to buy. I am not a member of Costco, but I am of Sam's Club. They have some, but with the fixtures. I can't decide if I should just remove entire lights and replace the whole thing!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
My Costco bulbs are made by "FEIT". The box says "convert your old fluorescent fixture to LED by simply replacing the tubes".

Maybe I got lucky with my fixtures and I'll only get 10,000 hours of use instead of 20,000 hours. That's 1000 days with 10 hours/day.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Right now I have 4- 4 tube Fluorescent lights that are 4 foot long each in the garage/shop area ceiling, and one LED over the tool boxes.
I want to replace the 4 on the ceiling with LED 5000k lights and 2 LEDs over the new counter I just built.
Does anyone have any pointers where to get the best deals, or if I am even looking for the right lights. I read the 5000k LEDs should give me great daylight in the shop. I want to wire the 4 on the ceiling together as the the 4 are wired now, and the 2 over the counter can either be joined with the 4 on ceiling or just on pull chains.
The ceiling is 9' high.

If you are a Duke power customer, check their website, you can buy LED bulbs etc for half of retail!!. I replaced all my PAR (can light) bulbs in the house with LEDs and what a difference and it was cheap!! $6 per fixture and that includes the trim!

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
I replaced my 8 ft fluroescent tubes with 6000k bulbs from www.greenlightdepot.com. It was an easy re-wiring job. They're outside in my unheated, unair-conditioned garage and work at any temperature. Since then I've bought several 4 ft packages (tube and tombstones all in one). If you're unsure what you need just call them. Another great site for all things (and I mean all) LED is www.superbrightleds.com.

DannysBoy

New User
Connor
ebay! get it for less.. my father, danmart77, put 4 on the ceiling of his shop and he can't say enough about them. shoot him a PM

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
If you are a Duke power customer, check their website, you can buy LED bulbs etc for half of retail!!. I replaced all my PAR (can light) bulbs in the house with LEDs and what a difference and it was cheap!! $6 per fixture and that includes the trim!
If I stay in my current house, I may put these throughout the shop, remodel cans in the ceiling.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
With my fixtures now being 16 years old, I think I might as well go with all new LED lights and fixtures at this point, Question now is do I get the 4000k or go for the 5000k lights? I always seem to go as big and as powerful as I can when given the choice and sometimes that can work against me. Some help here is greatly appreciated. I will replace the 4 fixtures that have 4 tubes with new LED 2 tubes each and add 2 of same over my new counter I built where my drill press and other machines are mounted. I will go with the fixtures that suspend from ceiling with the chains and will hang about 6" or so from the 9 foot ceiling. I will use existing wire and install outlet boxes right above each light fixture. This way if anything goes wrong, all I need to do is unplug and unhook the chains and replace and replug.

Brogan

New User
A temperature of 5000K is closer to daylight but 4000K is typically used for basements, garages, work shops, etc.

It may be worth trying to demo both in situ so you can see which you prefer.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Frank I have a vendor. I will post here as soon as I get the info. I bought 5000 & 6000 from them.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Frank it's : Green Light Depot. The ones I bought work with or without a ballast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS