Old Philip Head Screwdrivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
Does anyone know the proper way to sharpen or re-new old worn Phillip head screwdrivers? Is this even possible? I have several that are so worn and damaged that they slip in the screw head. Hate to throw them away if they can be restored by filing or grinding the tips.
Anyone have any ideas or experience on this one?
Mtnman

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I tried it once on a #1 Phillips that was pretty worn down. The result was not as good as I had hoped, but that was probably due to my skill level (lack of) and lack of patience. Let's just say the screw driver is about 1/4" shorter than when I started. :gar-La;

Bill

Len

New User
Len
My method of touching up the point of a Phillips screwdriver is to turn it into a flat blade screw driver or paint can opener.

Actually, I stopped buying the typical BORG/Wally-World Phillips screw drivers some time back. I was wearing out Phillips drivers like crazy in my repair shop, when someone told me about Wiha brand screw drivers. I decided to give them a try, and ordered a #1 and #2 Phillips about 10 years ago. They were a bit pricey at the time, around $35.00, but I use them daily and the tips look the same as the day I received them.

Len

cptully

New User
Chris
I don't use them daily but my 30 year old Craftsman drivers are still in beautiful condition. I have talked to service tech who will buy nothing but Wiha. I've also talked to mechanics who will buy nothing but Mac, S&K or Snap-On.

As with most things you get what you pay for...

Back to the topic of re tipping Phillips drivers, you will likely be unhappy with the results. Most drivers are hardened at the tip for durability and not hardened further up the shaft for toughness. If you grind off the hardened end of the tip in recreating the tip, it will round off even faster than the first tip. Take a careful look at any driver than has not been chromed from stem to stern and you will see a definite difference in surface appearance as you move up the shaft from the tip.

Chris Tully
BS and MSc in Materials Science and Engineering

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Len,

I like your solution much better. Just buy some top quality tools first and not have to deal with refurbishing low quality ones. I checked out Wiha's site and they have quite a selection. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Greavous

New User
Chris
+1 on the Craftsman tools. I do all sorts of projects and have flat worn out several screwdrivers and other hand tools over the years. Ive even cracked a few deep sockets while working on car restoration projects and mig welded them back together so I could finish the job. Then, took them back to Sears and got new free replacements. I recall telling the clerk I could explain the welds and he said he didnt need to hear it. He just replaced them and I was on my way.

My thoughts on Snap-On and others like that,, waste of money. Where is the Snap-On truck right now? I know where Sears is.

Glennbear

Glenn
I have never tried sharpening but in a pinch I have found that a little tiny dab of automotive valve grinding compound on the tip can generate enough friction to make worn ones usable. :wsmile:

Dudelive

New User
Dude
I have never tried sharpening but in a pinch I have found that a little tiny dab of automotive valve grinding compound on the tip can generate enough friction to make worn ones usable. :wsmile:

+1
Also you can use colgate toothpaste, the original kind that is somewhat gritty but fine valve grinding compound beat anything I have used.

Personally I regrind the worn out ones to an awl and have used it as a center punch if ground slowly and not to heat up the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS