Old growth heart pine-WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Just bought about 45 bf (half FS & half QS). What a shock, it averaged about $10/bf before milling with a waste factor of about 25-30%. :eusa_booh

It is beautiful wood, but my wallet is kind of in a seizure mode-it keeps trembling and shaking.

Any similar experiences out there? Did I get a good buy or just the norm to be expected for this stuff? :dontknow:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Jeff:
I too have ordered and received heartwood pine. In my case I ordered from
http://www.heartwoodpine.com/
in Pittsboro.

I ordered 100 BF of 10' long material- milled S4S. I paid for the BF after the milling - not BF before milling. They took off the weathered material and milled so that I could accomplish a finished 2" size. I paid for a finished S4S board.

Waste factor is very low for the material I rec'd. My customer wanted character wood so I did not need to cut away knots or nail holes. SO in the table top I had basically zero waste. I have other projects that I'll make and I am sure that I will have a more waste in those other projects. In any case the waste that I will have will be because of the project (i.e cutting a 6' piece from a 10' board), not waste due to the quality of the material.

SO I'm not sure if you got a 'good deal' - I thought I was treated fairly and I was very happy with what I rec'd. I think the differences between the suppliers may be down to the milling. I paid for milled material and if I understand you correctly, the BF you paid for was calculated before milling.

I hope this helps. I too had a WOW, but mine was about how nice the material was.

Henry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS