Old Band Saw - Need Help/Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Hi - that Makita, like my Hitachi resaw, uses a universal motor. It is geared, because universal motors spin about a bazillion RPM and that's too fast for sawing.

If the motor is dead, throw it away. You can replace with a normal induction motor (1725 rpm preferred), although you will need to fab an adapter plate.

In addition to the advice others have given you, I would remove the band and the drive belt and spin both the upper and lower wheels by hand listening for bad bearings.

Then I would re-install the drive belt (leave the band off) and having made sure the motor was free of debris, apply power and make sure the motor and drive wheel appear to be running properly.

If you want to check the upper wheel at this time, re-install the band, back off all the guides. Tension the band. Track the band by hand. Close all the doors and *briefly* apply power for 1-2 seconds while watching to see if the band tries to jump off the wheels. Adjust tracking and re-track by hand, then briefly with power as needed.

Once you have the saw running, I would junk the existing band as it looks like a plain steel band and a rusty one at that. Greg (Woodman2K) mentioned that the saw was not designed for smaller bands and that might be true, but you should have no problems fitting a more conventional aftermarket resaw band of the ~1" wide variety. You will need to bury the teeth of the smaller blade into the guide blocks shown in your picture #2, but this is no big deal.

By the way, regarding "all the knobs" shown in your picture number 3: the tracking and tension adjusting knobs are in vertical opposition. The other large (horizontal) knob is the raiser/lower adjuster for the upper guides - the guides are on a rack and pinion system.

Lastly, remember that it's a made in Japan saw - everything will be metric.

-Mark, who uses 3/4" bimetal and 1" Resaw King bands in his Hitachi
71WAFMJG66L._SL500_AA300_.gif

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Wow! Thanks, Mark. Good step-by-step suggestions. I'll print out the whole topics and all the great advice when I head out there this weekend to look at it.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I got the band saw cleaned up and un-rusted today. It seems to run great though I had to take a large pipe wrench to the tracking knob in order to tilt the wheel far enough. It took about five hours to clean it up and get it back together. I had to take a belt sander to the rust on the table. I sawed half-way through a board the way you do in order to determine blade drift and there wasn't any.

I still need to buy thrust bearings and get Dennis the diameter of the bearing rod. Then I have to rig a fence and I'll try my first resaw.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Susan, if you're using that 2-1/2" blade I doubt you'll see much drift. The blade set would have to be very wide to give you any leeway in that dept. Set your guide blocks close. Also, there are vendors offering ceramic bearing & guide blocks on Ebay if you'll look around.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
re: replacing the thrust bearings - there should be markings on the current thrust bearings. Read those markings to a bearing supplier and they will find a compatible bearing for you.

I shudder at the idea you had to use a pipe-wrench on the tracking mechanism. I assume the adjustment was frozen by rust ? Try soaking it over a period of time with PB Blaster or another brand of penetrating oil.

-Mark

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
I got the band saw cleaned up and un-rusted today. It seems to run great though I had to take a large pipe wrench to the tracking knob in order to tilt the wheel far enough. It took about five hours to clean it up and get it back together. I had to take a belt sander to the rust on the table. I sawed half-way through a board the way you do in order to determine blade drift and there wasn't any.

I still need to buy thrust bearings and get Dennis the diameter of the bearing rod. Then I have to rig a fence and I'll try my first resaw.

The tracking knob usually has another nut or wing nut to lock it in place.Be sure you back off the lock nut.
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS