Okay, I suck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
No really! I mean I suck! LOL I have been sick, out of work (again!) and it's been to danged cold in my garage/workshop to do much of anything. Soooooooo, I went to HFT today and bought a few little niceties that I needed...like a bench grinder...no honey, now I can sharpen all the blades I have in this shop! Yay! (She has flashbacks of meeting me at the ER after nearly cutting my right index finger off while sharpening a kitchen knife! :BangHead: ) I also made my way to Woodcrap and FINALLY purchased a 3/4" router bit for Playwood (real sz. 23/32).
Also, I am going to purchase the wood for a new bench, I have the plans for the one I want, but I have to get the wood...right? LOL

I want to make the top from maple, but I haven't any idea where the best place to go in Charlotte is for decent thick maple. My partner said to make it out of pine for now and when I can afford it, get the right maple for the job. I thnk I'll do that for now..I am only doing smaller projects now, I can always use the pine top for something else.

What do you guys think, should I stack up a bunch of good quality pine studs, glue them together (face to face) and whip out the old jointer plane for centuries of fun? :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

Anna-Catherine

M

McRabbet

If I were you, I'd go one step beyond kiln-dried pine studs (which can be pine, spruce or fir) and use Southern Yellow Pine. Costs a little more, but SYP is much tougher, usually straighter and much more stable and will last for a long time. There have been a number of WW magazine articles about using SYP for bench tops -- and it is lots cheaper than maple.

My $.02 - HTH

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hey Anna, great to hear from you again. You could do much worse than the 2 x 4 lamination that you mention. But you might consider using sereval layers of MDF, topped with hardboard, and edged in the hardwood of your choice, as a functional, heavy, cheap bench with a replaceable top surface. If not, try to find some straight SYP studs and glue them up :-D

Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You don't suck if you come here for advice...that's pretty smart in my book :-D :icon_thum

Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Congrats on the new acquistions Anna :icon_thum
Buying new tools always makes me feel better :lol:

Hope it was the right medicine for you too :mrgreen:

Roger

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I probably sound like a broken record with this, but if you're looking to go cheap for your benchtop, head to your nearest Habitat re-use center and pick up (carefully - they're heavy as heck!) a solid core, commercial interior door. They can usually be had for $5-$25 depending on how the stars are aligned on that particular day. They're dead flat, super heavy, they take a beating and there's no assembly required. If you're more particular about appearance, cover it with some sacrificial 3/4 MDF and throw some hardwood around the edges. I made a top like that last year for my Dad's Christmas gift and once assembled, it must have weighed in around 300lbs!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
...and speaking of Habitat ReStore...
Last weekend I saw a pile of new 2" thick Oak veneer/solid core commercial doors at the store on Wendover in Charlotte for $25ea (I think). They're back in the area with the countertops and moldings not with the other doors. These are extremely heavy Hospital/School spec type doors. There is a narrow opening along one edge for a 4" X 24" window. You could get creative with this opening and use it as a tool tray or rip the door down and still have a big benchtop. They also had some offcuts of these doors ~30"X30" for $5.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
I probably sound like a broken record with this, but if you're looking to go cheap for your benchtop, head to your nearest Habitat re-use center and pick up (carefully - they're heavy as heck!) a solid core, commercial interior door. They can usually be had for $5-$25 depending on how the stars are aligned on that particular day. They're dead flat, super heavy, they take a beating and there's no assembly required. If you're more particular about appearance, cover it with some sacrificial 3/4 MDF and throw some hardwood around the edges. I made a top like that last year for my Dad's Christmas gift and once assembled, it must have weighed in around 300lbs!

I actually am going to go over to the Habitate store in a few minutes. I will see what they have, but I'll be on my motorcycle! If I find anything I'll have to wait to get it until I have the truck...hopefully tomorrow! LOL

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Anna, glad to hear you're taking advantage of the cold weather days buying new toys! Works for me, too. :)

I'm going through the same thought process on building a bench. I'd be curious to hear what you go with and how it works out. You'll probably have yours built before I even start mine.. :lol:

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors