Official 2008 NCWoodworker.net pinup calendar contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I vote for fred's awesome box :icon_thum

attachment.php

so what finish do you suggest? i'm leaning towards used motor oil!:rolf: followed up with some unwanted ear wax.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
so what finish do you suggest? i'm leaning towards used motor oil!:rolf: followed up with some unwanted ear wax.

I believe a truck key is best suited for collecting and applying the wax...just something that I came across somewhere..thought I would share!

Monty

New User
Monty
The deadline is as posted above (I edited the original post to reflect the change). But, we reserve the right to change the rules as we see fit!!!

DavidF

New User
David
The deadline is as posted above (I edited the original post to reflect the change). But, we reserve the right to change the rules as we see fit!!!

****, my dining table is not going to be finished, the client so wanted it to be offered up for the calendar. Looks like I need to try and take some pics of the bed instead!

J

jeff...

why not used transmission fluid? ATF dot 3 of course, nothing but the best for that awesome box :-D

Monty

New User
Monty
Well.... as it stands now we don't have enough entries to even fill a calendar, even if DaveO wins six months!!! :eusa_doh: This is not good!!! C'mon I know we've got some talented woodworkers and great shutterbugs out there - show off your stuff!!!

One thing I want to remind everyone about their entries: keep in mind how they will look when the ends are cropped! Take JackLeg's swing project for example (not to pick on JackLeg). The first picture will look fine printed on the calendar, but the second picture wouldn't. Compare the "before & after" so you'll see what I mean:

BEFORE (these are the original project pics):

AFTER (this is how each pic would look if actually printed on the calendar):

1_24645d96774337af9714947c48c0b69c.jpg 1_94700ef3c27800940494473862acaa72.jpg

The safest way to ensure what you picture will look like is to go ahead and crop it to 2300 x 1800 if you have photo editing software, or use that Pixenate link to see roughly what it would look like at 8x10 (that's what I did above).

If I see an entry that clearly will not qualify, I'll have to remove it!!! Ask for help if you need it!!

Also, you MUST provide a description of your project (ie, what it is, type of wood, any special comments on construction technique, joinery, finish, etc). This information will help with the judging, and will be printed on the calendar along with each picture. So.... some sort of description will be required before the final judging begins!

DavidF

New User
David
I need to take some pics, but will hopefully have something ready to submit. The deadline is a bit tight for me.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Is it just me, or does it seem like this is a shoe-in for the calendar...perhaps even the cover!?!?!

antler3.jpg

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Monty: Thanks for the critique. I plan to re-photograph the swing in the front view and will keep the advice in mind. Also plan to photo the glider we finished to day. Thanx again for the help.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Oh yea - those "nominations" that Jeff mentioned are good projects, but the photos wouldn't do well in the contest for one reason or another (except for that last pic of Skeeter's desk).

When you're taking your pictures, pay attention to the background (ie, clean up the shop a little!) and also make sure you don't get the subject too close to the left and right edges. Most cameras capture images in a standard 4"x6" aspect ratio that will be too wide to publish in the calendar! Expect the left and right edges to be clipped off.

You can go ahead and do this yourself if you have image editing software. Just crop your image to 2300 pixels wide by 1800 pixels high at 200 dpi, and you'll see what it will look like. Or, you can upload your image to Pixenate to get a little "preview" that's pretty close to how it would look in the calendar. To do this, just upload your image file to Pixenate, click on the "Crop" button, and select "8x10" aspect ratio. If your main subject gets clipped or is too close to one edge... go back and re-shoot the photo!!! :eusa_doh:

one more question monty? i have some photoes taken and sized them approx. 2300 x 1800 however i have no clue what the dpi is yet. these pics are nearly 1.5 MB!!!!!! dont think i can upload them at that size. my photo wiz will look at them later. is 1.5 MB too large?

fred

Monty

New User
Monty
2300 x 1800 is good - the "dpi" just refers to the resolution they will use when printing the picture on the calendar itself. Just ignore anything I said about dpi. The size (1.5 mb) will not be a problem. We expect the files to be large - they need to be so the printed image will look good on the calendar.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Just wanted to remind everyone that we don't have enough entries to run the contest.8-O8-O Waht you say? There over 20 some entries. BUT, there must be at least 12 different members who have entered, an there aren't. Not enough entries, NO CONTEST:eusa_whis:eusa_booh

Plus then what do I do with the prizes?????

DavidF

New User
David
Just wanted to remind everyone that we don't have enough entries to run the contest.8-O8-O Waht you say? There over 20 some entries. BUT, there must be at least 12 different members who have entered, an there aren't. Not enough entries, NO CONTEST:eusa_whis:eusa_booh

Plus then what do I do with the prizes?????

I would love to enter, but I am going away next week until the 30th and will not have time to take pics good enough for the entry, is there any way of extending the deadline say to end Nov?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
DaveF, thanks for the reminder. I just threw my splated scroll sawed horses into the ring.

If y'all vote for me I promise to..........

Monty

New User
Monty
We're getting a nice group of entries for the project photos - should be a fun contest! I have seen a couple of requests to extend the deadline, and we've been considering this. One thing that I offered is photo help at the Klingspor show next weekend, and if we do that there might not be enough time to enter the photo into the contest after the show. So extending the contest a couple of weeks might be a good idea. After all... we've got until next year, don't we!?!?!? :lol:

One thing I'm noticing is we need some good entries for the cover contest. Remember - the cover contest is a separate contest, and the cover winner gets to pick their prize first!!! :eusa_danc

The cover entries are not supposed to be the same as a regular month entry. The cover contest is more of a graphics design contest. Make the cover design an expression of what you see in NCWoodworker.net. It could be just one really good picture, or a collage of pictures. Whatever you choose, make sure it says what the calendar is (remember - this is a calendar cover after all). So you should include "NCWoodworker.net" or "North Carolina Woodworker" or the site logo in the design somehow, along with the year ( 2008 ). Don't forget to make the image 2300 x 1800 pixels.

Have fun!

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
:eusa_pray
Use these if you need more stuff. Also, tell me what to do to make the pictures better for the calender.

Attachments

• DSCF2230.jpg
    DSCF2230.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 187

Monty

New User
Monty
John - that would be a great picture to enter if you want to. I would go back and find your original image file if you still have it - hopefully you have an image with more than 640 x 480 resolution. If not, I would reshoot the photo at a higher resolution. Then if you want to enter, just upload the photo into the calendar contest category.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors