Off Topic forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
As I just noted in this thread, I asked that for now, we ignore the off topics forum in our discussions of new policies and procedures. My reasons are fairly simple. I am convinced that that we must deal with the off topic forums as a special case with possibly its own set or at least an additional set of rules. When it is time to discuss those issues it will become difficult and perhaps contentious. I really don't think we need that distraction while we are trying to refine our general policies.

But of course, when problems arise there, it will be difficult to keep them out of our general policies discussions. So I have decided, to temporarily close the "Off Topic" forum.

There are additional benefits, of course. There is the "time out" effect. We can get a better idea of how much it will be missed or is even needed to meet some of the our goals.

We do not want to stop the what I think of the announcements that help us feel like a community. Births, deaths, prayer requests, pets, taking vacation, etc. Oh let's not forget weddings, we had one of those between members.:gar-La;
Here is a draft of the announcement I intend to make later in the day.

As some of you might know, the staff is in the process of reviewing our current posting policies. One of the things that has become apparent during this process, is that the manner with which we treat the off topic forum and how we treat all the other forums may have to be different. There has arisen the notion that most of the topics that we all feel comfortable with being discussed in the Off Topic forum are things that could and perhaps should be discussed in other forums.

For instance the subject of pets, deaths, prayer request, etc. are perhaps best placed in the User Announcements.

The future existence and implementation of the Off Topic forum is yet to be determined.
When and if, the off topics forum will be re-opened and how strict the topics and the language allowed in the forum has not yet decided. We will keep you all up to date on our progress.

In the meantime please use the "User Announcements" forum for the purposes of announcing birthdays, births, deaths, prayer requests, pets, taking vacation, etc.

Your understanding and cooperation in this manner will be greatly appreciated.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I think it's a good announcement. With regards to the off-topic forum will you be wanting input/opinions from the membership or will this be strictly a staff decision? If the former you may want to include a statement that a separate thread will be opened at the appropriate time for that discussion to hopefully head off/delay those comments...

Travis

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Personally, I don't care for OT.

But, I don't see pressing need to close it at this time.

I also have reservations about the message it sends "we are reviewing the policy so we are shutting down off topic".

That said, I'm on record for getting rid of OT and making User Announcements more robust.

Just not as comfortable tying it to the Policy work.

I do like your announcement wording though :)

How's that for mixed messages!

Jim

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Personally, I don't care for OT.

But, I don't see pressing need to close it at this time.

I also have reservations about the message it sends "we are reviewing the policy so we are shutting down off topic".

That said, I'm on record for getting rid of OT and making User Announcements more robust.

Just not as comfortable tying it to the Policy work.

I do like your announcement wording though :)

How's that for mixed messages!

Jim
I agree with Jim. Until we have a new policy in place, why shut down the Off Topic forum? Things have been very quiet lately, i.e. no immediate need, and shutting it down due to policy changes will likely do nothing more but get a few individuals riled up.

My suggestion would be to first determine what the new policy/ strategy is, and then implement it.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I agree with Jim. Until we have a new policy in place, why shut down the Off Topic forum? Things have been very quiet lately, i.e. no immediate need, and shutting it down due to policy changes will likely do nothing more but get a few individuals riled up.

My suggestion would be to first determine what the new policy/ strategy is, and then implement it.
I hear what you all are saying, but let me make a few points.

Just becuase things are quiet today does not mean they will be quiet tomorrow. Things like that happen real fast.

Also, by closing the off topic forum now, not only does it help to narrow our focus, but it will also help us to discover what kind of other topics we need forums for. The idea I mentioned above was to push a lot of things that normally would go to off topic to user announcements. But there are other subjects that I can see that don't fit there but that we might want to support. For instance, Scott Smith's thread about data recovery.

I am using that as an example, let's not discuss that now. We really need to focus on the issue in the other thread. What our are goals for our posting policy? If you'll excuse me using the over used and worn out expression, what is the Moderation staff's "Mission statement":eusa_doh::roll: :slap: :tongue2: :evil3: :swoon: :swoon:

Don't answer that here, please take it to the other thread. I am closing this thread becuase its intent was to inform of my pending action and that is done. I am not trying to stifle discussion, keep it on the main topic which right now are the goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors