Off topic closed, and so is discussion about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I was about to agree with Bas and Jim with regard to the closure of the Off Topic forum in the thread http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f39/off-topic-forums-33398/. I think Steve is fixing a problem that has not happened. Steve closed the forum because, in his own words, something could go wrong, some day. "Just becuase things are quiet today does not mean they will be quiet tomorrow." I was not able to post a response because the thread was closed after Steve's last post to it. Steve's last sentence in his post about not wanting to stifle discussion notwithstanding, the 'other thread' is a different discussion in which the Off Topic forum discussion is put aside.

This demonstrates a disregard for any input from others. Will moderators be needed in the future?

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
The abrupt closing of what appeared to be a discussion about the Off Topic forum closure was a bit disconcerting.

Closing Off Topic is a rather large move and one that's been discussed at length in the past.

Many of those discussions came to the conclusion it was best to leave it in place until things got so bad it required dramatic action. Which, to the best of my knowledge has not happened in the past year.

Ray, near as I can tell we'll always need moderators. The newest software to replace Moderators was rejected when it became self aware and tried to take over the world. It was strangely reminiscent of Terminator and Terminator 2, but not the other two films or the TV series.

Jim

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I realize that many of you don't agree with this action. I am sorry. I was not trying to stifle discussion, becuase I really wasn't inviting. That sounds harsh but I don't mean it that way. I was trying to give you all advance warning on the action that was about to be taken.

A decision was made in consultation with those who needed to be consulted. It would have been ingenuous of me to pretend to open something for discussion when the decision was already made.

I am sorry if any of you feel that the decision is wrong. I am sorry if any of you feel that I disrespected you, that was not intended.

It will always be my policy to first attempt to reach consensus and if that is not possible to at least get buy in, except in those few cases where I feel I have no choice but to take a certain action. This is one of those cases. My judgement. And just in case, I am not clear, things like this may happen again. I hope not, but they may.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS