oak stump ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blues

New User
john
I found some oak sections recently cut. (I think). I am planning to use this as a block to trim up stock once I level the ends...Thought I would try to make some riven boards maybe for a "bibble box" as seen on the woodwrights shop. 75 inch girth..

Woodwright's Shop. Peter and the Box. Master joiner Peter Follansbee of Plymoth Plantation carves a 17th century "bible box." .

any other thoughts about handling or using this stock? :eusa_thin
VERY VERY heavy. A three man lift.

DSC_2828.JPG

cheers!

rbdoby

New User
Rick
John,

I'd try to do as much work to the block as I could where it is laying to get it to a more manageable size. Your chopping block will between 2 and 3 foot tall? Do you have a hand truck? The other pieces I'd split into sizes I could handle. You'll need some extra wedges and gluts to split your logs if they have some length to them.

Rick Doby

02blues

New User
john
Good Ideas. I dont have a hand truck but that sounds like a good investment. I have several guys that are going to help load them though.

Sounds like youve done this...
How have you made your gluts? Hard wood, sizes or any recommendations. I have only one wedge and will need to get another I guess unless I can use a wedge and glut.

Do you recommend a radial slpit / half width? Was hoping to get maximum width. Can I just split full width along the diameter?

Is it possible to keep the ends of the "stump" from cracking? checking? as it dries? I did put a little danish oil on one cut end...

Recommend leaving the bark on or stripping it off?

Thanks again...!

02blues

New User
john
A new load today...I feel like we just landed another Muskie!!

DSC_0008.JPG

IMG00268.jpg

aka...fish gloat.:eusa_danc
PS we are not real fishermen.. just some dumb luck.:dontknow:

02blues

New User
john
free oak stumps

Dragon:
I ran across these in someones yard in Chapel Hill. I didn't want them to end up as mulch or firewood. Hope I can use them they are very heavy and rock hard.were cut down about 2 months ago per owner.

the good news: There are 2 or three left if you want them. I could only handle 3. They are not perfectly round but if you are interested I would be happy to meet you and show you whats left. I know the owner would be happy to get ride of them b/c it would cost him money to get them removed.

We used 4 guys for each section. two pulling a tow rope and two pushing up a ramp into the pick up. So heavy it slightly bent the tail gate...but not bad.

Shoot me a PM and we can try to work something out. Same goes for anyone else.

John / 02blues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS