oak end table build - update

Status
Not open for further replies.

bash

New User
bash
Update to https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63973 . Completed two of the four end tables today. I learned a lot, including several things to do different next time. Any suggestions on my methods are welcome - I researched several how-to's on this and other sites, and made up others as I went. These were my own design based on features I liked in other tables.

Finishing took longer then expected, especially with the string of cool days in late March. Decided to finish unassembled (except for the drawers). Glad I went that route as I made by first attempt at rubbing out the finish.
20180301_095348.jpg

Made the drawer supports with slots on each end and attached with washer head screws so I could fine tune drawer leveling and gap evening. Not shown, but did the same for the two bottom shelf supports. Drilled three oversized holes in each support and attached shelf with washer head screws to allow for wood movement (also left gaps along each side of the shelf for cross-grain movement). This made it very easy to vertically position the shelf to align.
20180430_160813.jpg

Attached the tops with buttons in mortises, also to allow for wood movement. Probably made my mortises (especially the center ones on each side) much larger than necessary.
20180501_101956.jpg

Two tables (30" night stands) completed. Remaining two (24" end tables) dry-fitted, ready for final sanding and finishing.
20180503_143813.jpg

20180503_150812.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Very nice tables. :icon_thum I also use buttons to attach tops. I use a dado blade to cut a 1/4 x 1/4" groove on each piece where a button will be attached. Much quicker and easier than cutting mortises.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Those REALLY look nice Bash!

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Wow Bash, beautiful end tables and night stands, and great craftsmanship! They are winners for sure! Oak is so beautiful for furniture it is my first choice, especially white oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS