'Nother box

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The continuing saga of what I did while the site was down. Here is installment number two. A quarter sawn Cherry and curly Walnut keepsake box for my wife's good friend who is being relocated for work. Nothing to special about it other than the difficulty of working with figured stock and my first attempt at internal splined miters.
Unfortunately I was unable to capture the chatoyance of the curly and quarter sawn figure in these pics. The QS Cherry has almost a sparkley glow to it and a slight amount of curl, that appears as blotches in the pics. The curly Walnut was a random find in some rough Walnut stock I have, and it too has some really nice figure that doesn't translate well in these pics. One day I will get a real photo set up and get some good pics :BangHead:

Cole_s_keepsake_box_001.jpg

Cole_s_keepsake_box_005.jpg

Cole_s_keepsake_box_006.jpg

BTW this was my own design...critiques welcome :-D

Thanks for looking, and be nice ;-)

Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wow.................great looking box Dave.:icon_thum It looks like you have been extremely fortunate lately in finding some really nice looking stock to make your projects out of. I wish I could be so lucky.

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
Wait a minute... what is that? Is that... WOOD you're working with?!?!? I've almost forgotten what it looks like! :lol:

Seriously, another fine example of your craftsmanship -- well done! And any time you get to use the word chatoyance in a thread, you know you're raising the bar for the rest of us...

T

toolferone

Dave, nice looking box. What are the over all dimensions? What are the dots on top of the handle for? The way you positioned the grain for the handle is PERFECT! My only .02 cents worth is that it looks a little short.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave, nice looking box. What are the over all dimensions? What are the dots on top of the handle for? The way you positioned the grain for the handle is PERFECT! My only .02 cents worth is that it looks a little short.

10½" x 4.25" x 7". The dots on the handle are Walnut dowels reinforcing the joint to the lid. Short? in which way?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
-- well done! And any time you get to use the word chatoyance in a thread, you know you're raising the bar for the rest of us...

I had to look it up! :oops:

Chatoyance - chatoyancy:-x

Chatoyancy - the quality or state of being chatoyant:-x :-x :-x

Ok, here we go:

Chatoyant - having a changeable luster or color with an undulating narrow band of white light. (from the French - chatoyer- to shine like a cat's eyes. more commonly used when discussing gems)

almost forgot! Nice box, DaveO!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Dave,

I envy your artistry. The box is beautiful. I agree that the wood is really nice, but I suggest that the beauty of the box is what the artist did with the wood.

Ray

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Dave,

I envy your artistry. The box is beautiful. I agree that the wood is really nice, but I suggest that the beauty of the box is what the artist did with the wood.

Ray

I agree with Ray! I've had some nice wood but my projects sure don't turn out that nice! Great job as usual Dave....

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I like the wood selection and the base looks really cool.

Dave, I like the way you always add a few unique touches to each project...even a keepsake box. The handle and base design and grain flow, along with the careful stock selection show that you take each piece seriously.

Chuck

T

toolferone

Short? in which way?

I am sitting here looking at it trying to figure out how to describe what I see. Either the body needs to be a little taller or the feet need to be slimmer. For lack of a better word it looks "squat". Does that help?

The wood choice is perfect, and it has gorgeous figure in it. Does the lid have a small chamfer along the rim? The pictures make it looks like it does and that you carried that same angle in to the feet. Great way of tying the box together.

Dave, there is so much I like about the box, please know I am just offering my opinion and you know what people say about those.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am sitting here looking at it trying to figure out how to describe what I see. Either the body needs to be a little taller or the feet need to be slimmer. For lack of a better word it looks "squat". Does that help?

The wood choice is perfect, and it has gorgeous figure in it. Does the lid have a small chamfer along the rim? The pictures make it looks like it does and that you carried that same angle in to the feet. Great way of tying the box together.

Dave, there is so much I like about the box, please know I am just offering my opinion and you know what people say about those.

Tom you don't need to apologies for offering your opinion, that I solicited.
I actually started out with a taller box and it didn't look right and I trimmed the sides down a good bit. According to the "Golden Rectangle" it is still a little tall for it's length. That may give it it's squat appearance :eusa_thin :eusa_thin
The lid does have a chamfer along the rim, I tried to give it a little Asian influence, and the chamfer lightens the appearance of the top.
Thanks for your thoughts, through them I can only improve in my designs.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave,

How many years you have been doing this and how do you get it to look so smooth and glassy.

I would guess that I have been butchering wood for 5-6 years with a strong interest in it.
The finish on the box is 2 coats natural Danish Oil, then 2 coats spray blond shellac leveled with 400-600 grit paper, then about 6 coats of Deft gloss spray lacquer rubbing out with 600 grit between each 2 coats, then Minwax paste wax, hand buffed.

T

toolferone

I showed my wife the box and I said exactly the same thing that it has an Asian feel to it. So your idea worked well!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hope I'm not too late to pile on more praise. You have a great eye for design and wood matchups :icon_thum

In fact, it doth inspire one :mrgreen:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS