Not Too Sure About This Forum. May Need To Delete My Account..... ;-)

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
Before finding this forum, I was perfectly happy with my starter lathe and easy to use carbide tools... My 9 inch band saw was almost adequate. Nobody really 'needs' a planer or jointer as it doesn't matter if things aren't really flat. And, I didn't even know what a scroll saw was.

Fast forward to now and I've upgraded my lathe, got a 14 inch band saw, jointer, planer... and just today, met a fellow to get my new Hegner Scroll Saw. When the rain settles enough for me to get motivated to brave the mud to the shop, I'll go check it out.

Seems that this rabbit hole goes deep, but I appreciate the free exchange of knowledge, ideas and opinion, of course that goes on here. I took up one members recommendation on the scroll saw purchase, saving me from buying a lesser saw... and took up another fellows kind offer on the Pony Express to get it. Great group of folks here and I appreciate yall.

Apologies on the 'click bait'... :D

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Sounds like you still need a drum sander, drill press, router/shaper, workbench, and an upgrade to your table saw. You are probably going to need a bigger shop. :)

Honestly the folks that I have met here are mostly not concerned about acquiring all the tools. They are concerned about making the best stuff they can make and having the proper tools available to do so. And helping others to do the same, or getting information that will help them do so. Well, and also bringing older iterations of great tools back to life to make even more sawdust.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I looked and thought, what the heck... I thought Rob was enjoying all this... YUP click-bait.

The rabbit hole can get deep and wide. I find myself in acquisition mode often simply because there is a "DEAL" or something I "always" wanted...

BUT, it is fun having the "right" tool when you want to do a job!

I think there is another component for some of us: Learning something new or learning how to do something from a teacher rather than from a book or You Tube.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
Sounds like you still need a drum sander, drill press, router/shaper, workbench, and an upgrade to your table saw. You are probably going to need a bigger shop. :)

Honestly the folks that I have met here are mostly not concerned about acquiring all the tools. They are concerned about making the best stuff they can make and having the proper tools available to do so. And helping others to do the same, or getting information that will help them do so. Well, and also bringing older iterations of great tools back to life to make even more sawdust.
Drill press...check... router... check. Workbench... check. Drum Sander... wish I had the room, but I just dont.
I'm always amazed at what folks can do with minimal tools... I'm just not that talented and so I need the benefit of 'decent' tools (at least what I tell the CFO).

But thanks for the laugh.
Glad I got a chuckle, sir!

This forum got me a CNC machine which I've promptly spent about 3 times the purchase price on in accessories, fixtures, and tooling I didn't need. But its fun!
I think that's by design with every hobby... getting 'in the game' isnt the expensive part... it's all the ancillary equipment needed to keep you in the game or make it more enjoyable!

I looked and thought, what the heck... I thought Rob was enjoying all this... YUP click-bait.

The rabbit hole can get deep and wide. I find myself in acquisition mode often simply because there is a "DEAL" or something I "always" wanted...

BUT, it is fun having the "right" tool when you want to do a job!

I think there is another component for some of us: Learning something new or learning how to do something from a teacher rather than from a book or You Tube.
ha... I decided last minute to put the ;-) in the subject in case you were looking for a reason to get rid of me and just deleted my account without reading... (joking)
I can relate to the last part. I've been adamant that I learn everything on my own. It's something I've almost prided myself in. However, I spent a couple different days with a forum member learning some turning techniques and I was amazed at how just a slight turn of the tool or stance can affect work. It's been fun so far!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
However, I spent a couple different days with a forum member learning some turning techniques and I was amazed at how just a slight turn of the tool or stance can affect work. It's been fun so far!
Yes, turning can be a "full-body" workout.
Your stance, tool angle, sharpness of the tool and SO many other factors I am not thinking of - oh yea, 80 grit sandpaper for when you screw up, but want to save your hard work from the burn pile! LOL

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
Yes, turning can be a "full-body" workout.
Your stance, tool angle, sharpness of the tool and SO many other factors I am not thinking of - oh yea, 80 grit sandpaper for when you screw up, but want to save your hard work from the burn pile! LOL
That has been the biggest thing I've gotten from my time spent with someone who knows what the heck they are doing... I can come off the tool and NOT have to start out at a grit of sandpaper that would take the hide off an alligator. But yes... I've had my share of catches and ...ahem... mishaps.. with some turnings!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
But wait ! Rob there is More, you have not gotten enough tools, and when you finally get saturated with a bazillion woodworking tools, then you will need at least a metal mill and a metal lathe .... you know, just in case you need to make a part for the tools you already have instead of just buying it ........ :p

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
You think this forum is bad just wait until you have attended a shop crawl or two. Not only will you have tool envy disease but also shop envy disease.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Don't let the TAD (tool acquisition disease) infect you. Some of the best scroll saw work I've seen was on a shop crawl near Goldsboro by a member that did his work in a small dirt floor garage with a home made wood stove. He realized he didn't need all the glam tools to do what he wanted, which was mostly, like for most of us, a sort of therapy. U do U. :cool:

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
But wait ! Rob there is More, you have not gotten enough tools, and when you finally get saturated with a bazillion woodworking tools, then you will need at least a metal mill and a metal lathe .... you know, just in case you need to make a part for the tools you already have instead of just buying it ........ :p
Already got a mini mill and mini lathe from knifemaking. Along with a couple 2x72's Disc grinder, etc, etc... Never mind the fact that my machining 'skills' are about the same as a chimp with a dremel...!

You think this forum is bad just wait until you have attended a shop crawl or two. Not only will you have tool envy disease but also shop envy disease.
Shop envy... yes... same as gun room envy!
Don't let the TAD (tool acquisition disease) infect you. Some of the best scroll saw work I've seen was on a shop crawl near Goldsboro by a member that did his work in a small dirt floor garage with a home made wood stove. He realized he didn't need all the glam tools to do what he wanted, which was mostly, like for most of us, a sort of therapy. U do U. :cool:
I think it's too late. I fell for GAD.. gun acquisition disease long ago so this was natural!
But you are correct... the 'glam tools' arent needed, but then again... we could all be working with hand tools by candle light! Just makes things more enjoyable.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
A closely related disorder is WAD (Wood Acquisition Disease). Some symptoms to watch out for...
  • You feel a sudden urge to build your own kiln.
  • You know where all the saw mills are within a 50-mile radius (In the more advanced cases, you find yourself actually owning a sawmill).
  • At least a third of your shop space is dedicated to wood storage.
  • You find yourself buying lumber to build more shelves for storing lumber.
There is no known cure. However, it is treatable by buying more tools and building more stuff. One side affect is that as you build more stuff you may find another disease has developed, known as MHITSFATS (My House Is Too Small For All This Stuff). No worries. Now you just need a bigger house.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
A closely related disorder is WAD (Wood Acquisition Disease). Some symptoms to watch out for...
  • You feel a sudden urge to build your own kiln.
  • You know where all the saw mills are within a 50-mile radius (In the more advanced cases, you find yourself actually owning a sawmill).
  • At least a third of your shop space is dedicated to wood storage.
  • You find yourself buying lumber to build more shelves for storing lumber.
There is no known cure. However, it is treatable by buying more tools and building more stuff. One side affect is that as you build more stuff you may find another disease has developed, known as MHITSFATS (My House Is Too Small For All This Stuff). No worries. Now you just need a bigger house.
I can definitely see this one being an issue and I've already been looking for sources of wood.
I may be coming full circle. My original knife shop was in the garage... Then I got a 10x10 shed up at the woods... then I popped in a 12x20 up at the 10x10... so for now, that leaves me with the garage still and I've already been looking at ideas for wood storage there!
Wait until the spring and you start buying raffle tickets. LOL!!!
I'm afraid to ask...
sounds like the dreaded woodguy disease is still spreading
At least it's nothing I can pass off to the wife... although in this particular case, that might not be a bad thing! :D

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I totally understand your plight as I have experienced similar symptoms. That said, deleting your account will not help -- in fact, it will only make matters worse. At this point your only hope is to...1) stay with the group 2) periodically show your work 3) contribute your ideas and experience and finally 4) confess your addiction. If you are truly lucky, addiction will become a passion!

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
I totally understand your plight as I have experienced similar symptoms. That said, deleting your account will not help -- in fact, it will only make matters worse. At this point your only hope is to...1) stay with the group 2) periodically show your work 3) contribute your ideas and experience and finally 4) confess your addiction. If you are truly lucky, addiction will become a passion!
I'm sure I'll hang around a bit! Have posted some of my work, but it's mainly knifework. Still in the embryonic stage of woodworking. I'll get there!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wait until the spring and you start buying raffle tickets. LOL!!!

I'm afraid to ask...
We sell Raffle tickets for a chance to win various tools and other shop items in the spring for our picnic.
While it is fun to think of what we will all potentially win, the true purpose of the ticket sales is to raise money for the site that allows us to keep it free (no monthly or annual membership fee) and do many of the outreach premise for which our group was created.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
We sell Raffle tickets for a chance to win various tools and other shop items in the spring for our picnic.
While it is fun to think of what we will all potentially win, the true purpose of the ticket sales is to raise money for the site that allows us to keep it free (no monthly or annual membership fee) and do many of the outreach premise for which our group was created.
Great cause!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors