Not the best idea I know

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I've got a bunch of Yellow Poplar on sticks air drying that I would like to use for outdoor porch railing. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It's going to be painted so I really don't care what it looks like.

Yellow Poplar --- "The wood is light, soft and easily worked. It is light yellow or brown, with wide cream-colored sapwood. Yellow poplar is extensively cut into lumber for interior and exterior trim, vencers, flake and chip boards, turnery and other high-grade uses."
[/FONT]

#1 treatment of bora-care
#2 Kilz Exterior Primer
#3 Kilz Exterior Semi Gloss

I know... thinking I have a sawmill I could get a hold of some better wood to use right? But I think with the above treatments it'll be ok - what do you think?

Thanks

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The 80 foot logs in my barn are poplar, over 100 years old and still holding up the roof. :icon_thum

mxracer

New User
Dan
Jeff, I think as long as you are not using it for the decking you will be fine. A friend of mine has 2 barns sided with poplar and have only had a diesel and used motor oil treatment and have been standing for ~20 years now. The "old timers" advice is as long as poplar is vertical it will last.

I sided my latest tractor shed I built with it as well, no issues.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS