Not sure what to call this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Well first, where are we. We've done a lot things that have had and will have profound changes in the website. First, we have updated the site's software to a point that I am "almost" comfortable with. During that process, a lot of you have learned a lot about running a website and a lot about the internals and either how to change things or how to find out how to change things.

Second, we have enough qualified staff in place to keep this place running without my constant attention, which was my plan. No, no, don't jump to conclusions, I'm fine and I'm not going anywhere ( well to FL and CA once in a while) My bout with the mystery illness is diagnosed and medications stabilized. I'm as good as new. The only thing on the health front is my current 500 calorie a day diet (Dr supervised). I've lost 20 lbs in 4 weeks and feel great. 55 lbs. to go.:eusa_danc

My second major point is, why have I started all this. Well the site is now a bit over one year old and its function and purpose are much more than I ever imagined. Despite my best intentions, my main focus in this last year has always ended up being this site, not woodworking. So now I intend to focus the same level of energy into really learning woodworking. We have the right people and enough of them, that the day to day running of the site should not be a burden.

So let me be clear, from this point forward, you guys are running this site. Monty is the Webmaster, until he decides he doesn't want to be. And that goes for all of you. Please don't let what happened before, happen again. When you can no longer give the site the attention it demands, becuase of desire, time, etc. please let us know. No hard feelings. I expect by next year at this time, there will be many changes in staff. It is normal and to be expected.

So what is my role? Well the title I gave myself, staff programmer says most of it. I want most of my involvement to be producing "custom code". I have a list of things that I want or need to do. I'll put up a list and you guys can add to that the things you want done and don't know how to do, or just want me to do. I'll help fix bugs, when needed. And I'll probably be your Database Admin, because I don't think any of you are really DB and SQL fluent yet. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so. On occasion I will probably stick my nose in where it isn't wanted, but what the hell:-D

Finally, I will always be the keeper of the "Vision". Can you say "Delusions of Grandeur":rolf: As this site developed, I had some ideas about the environment that I wanted it to be. Most of them have been accomplished, and I want to keep it that way. most of you understand some of it, because in dealing with moderations and other things, I have pretty much already stated it. But there are others things, that I am sure you don't realize. So in another thread I will try to state them.

DavidF

New User
David
Steve, it's good to know you're on the mend! I am sure that those that are now helping run the site will be great custodians of your vision and you will be happy with the path the site takes. Thanks once again for all your efforts - now go and make some sawdust!!!!

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Steve,
First and foremost, I'm very happy to hear that you've got your health back on the right course! Ouch, 500 calories a day is pretty harsh! But if that's what it takes to make you healthy, then it's worth it. BTW, sawdust is almost calorie free!
Your directness in policy with everyone has conveyed the manner with which you wish this site to operate. I truely believe that you've instilled in us the same desire for this site to succeed and maintain the correct 'attitude'.
What you've accomplished is nothing short of stellar! I/we appreciate all the hard work that you've done on our behalves.
You should truely be proud of what you've accomplished!
Thanks Papa-Steve! :eusa_clap

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Steve, I will reiterate what has been said about your health issues. I am so very glad to hear that things are getting back to normal, and I might not be able to recognize you after all the weight you've lost, but that's great and I am sure that you will feel better for it.
As for the site AYE, AYE Captain straight course ahead full sails (don't know much about sailing but you get the idea).
I hope that you will now have a chance to participate more in the woodworking discussions on the site and start posting some pictures of your projects.
Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
I am glad you are better Steve. For the record, I can be a resource for alot of things SQL to any that need it. It's just a matter of time and availiability for me. You have done a great job here, and I love this site, love being part of the "staff".

sapwood

New User
Roger
Steve,

Whew, glad things are better on the health issues. It was a sincere concern. Hope the 500 calories limit doesn't affect your coffee passion. :-D

And it's impossible to express my appeciation for the folks who have stepped up to lend considerable expertise and time on the site. Clearly your "vision" impacted them.

It's time to start enjoying the tools you have acquired :mrgreen:

Roger

T

toolferone

Steve,
Hope the 500 calories limit doesn't affect your coffee passion. :-D
:mrgreen:
Roger

Well his coffee habit has changed some here at WC. He brings in his own sweetner and still drinks the mud we call coffee.

Steve, so go make some sawdust! We will mind the store for ya.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Steve, ditto the comments on your health. I am glad to hear the Docs got the meds straightened out. Sounds like you are making significant progress with your diet........but man.........only 500 calories a day? That sucks.............thats like only 5 beers a day.:lol:

As for the site, it seems things are coming along nicely. I read your vision statement and believe it will continue to guide all of us as wee continue to move our site forward.

D L

chris99z71

New User
Chris
...thats like only 5 beers a day.:lol:

Or a half a Guinness! :lol: May be time to switch to Mic Ultra...in other words...start drinking water.

But seriously, if you're into cooking, try some of the weight watchers cookbooks. Their whole philosophy is cutting down on fat and calories. My wife and I started this a few years ago and found that some of their re-vamped recipies for stuff tasted pretty much the same. Even though we're not formally still doing weight watchers, we've incorporated their lessons on making stuff healthier in general.

Monty

New User
Monty
Steve, I echo all (well... most) of the comments so far! I always thought you were putting too much time in this forum... well, I hope you feel it's been worth it. Now somehow you've found a way to get the rest of us to spend too much time here, too! :lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sorry for the hijack :oops:

Many people think that Guinness is a strong and heavy beer. It is actually very light at 4% alcohol and 125 cal. in America, (it's 7.5% alcohol /176 cals. across the pond). Only 1 more calorie than Miller Light and about 1% less alcohol than Budweiser which is 5% and 143 cals.
Back to your regularly schedule thread, hijack over :lol:

DavidF

New User
David
Sorry for the hijack :oops:

Many people think that Guinness is a strong and heavy beer. It is actually very light at 4% alcohol and 125 cal. in America, (it's 7.5% alcohol /176 cals. across the pond). Only 1 more calorie than Miller Light and about 1% less alcohol than Budweiser which is 5% and 143 cals.
Back to your regularly schedule thread, hijack over :lol:

Is that true?? you b$%^&ds what have you done????:slap: I am going to have to drink an extra one each time now - dam...

Sorry for the continued hijack, but this is important..

woodguy1975

New User
John
That is great news on the health front Steve! I'm happy to hear you ready to put the effort into woodworking and will look forward to updates on your progress through your projects. :)

Thanks for everything.

John

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Steve,

It's really good to hear that the health thing is under control... but we'll say a few more prayers just for the fun of it.

Worry first about the health... then about making sawdust. The NCWW will be fine. You've done a fantastic job and set the right philosophy for the site. We will follow it.

Ray

M

McRabbet

Steve -- we are all very pleased to hear that your medical condition has improved and know that your doctor has put you on a restricted diet for good reason (I'm the "pot" calling the kettle "black" as I'm at least 75 pounds overweight myself :wave:). I'm honored to be able to spend some of my time to share the load as a staff member; an old adage says "the key to success is through involvement" and I strongly believe that your guidance and vision, plus continued staff involvement will safeguard the obvious success and future growth for the site. You've made this a wonderful place to spend time and we all appreciate it!

On the woodworking front -- go forth and enjoy your shop -- but do work safely -- I wear eye and ear protection with all of my power tools and dust protection whenever I turn on anything with sand paper attached to it to protect my lungs. I urge you and all of my fellow woodworkers to do the same.

May you never have another headache! :eek:ccasion1 Rob

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Or a half a Guinness! :lol: May be time to switch to Mic Ultra...in other words...start drinking water.

But seriously, if you're into cooking, try some of the weight watchers cookbooks. Their whole philosophy is cutting down on fat and calories. My wife and I started this a few years ago and found that some of their re-vamped recipies for stuff tasted pretty much the same. Even though we're not formally still doing weight watchers, we've incorporated their lessons on making stuff healthier in general.
Unfortuntely, this diet does not actuallu use real food of any type. The Dr calls it a fast. But I have to take 5 supplements a day about 3 to 4 hours apart. Each suppliment is a powder that is mixed with water. I have have my choice of several flavors and each one has about 100 calories. So I call it a 500 calorie a day diet. Sounds better than a 3 month fast.

Oh and let's not forget the 4 -6 quarts of water I must drink a day. And I can have coffee or tea, if I use an artifical sweetner.:eusa_danc

cskipper

Cathy
The diet sounds rough, but glad all else is well. I think you've guided the group well, and it's about time you get to make some sawdust for a change. You know how I feel about this site and it is a result of your vision. Thank you seems inadequate, but there it is.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Hmm...that doesn't sound like fun. If you've got the willpower to do that, we should start calling you "iron man".

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Hmm...that doesn't sound like fun. If you've got the willpower to do that, we should start calling you "iron man".

Actually the diet is actually easy after the first 3 days. There are no choices. There really isn't any signiifcant hunger. There are no special meals to make or special shopping to do. It is just "one day at a time"

Plus the results are immediate, which is a great motivator:yes4lo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS