Not happy Bait n switch Timken Bearing

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
So, I bought a Unisaw and I am restoring it to near new condition. I Ordered up some Timken bearings because I wanted American, German or Japanese products.
Anyway, I needed a 6205 and a 6206 both were advertised as American made but much to my chagrin, one was made in China the other was American. Given these bearings are for the motor I am not going to send them back, I waited for 8 days to get them, just really pisses me off.
Word of Caution Nachi(Taiwan), NSK(Taiwan), and now Timken(China) are outsourcing some of their products. So the caveat now requires us to ask before buying. :oops: :mad:

Attachments

• timken bearing (1).jpg
    timken bearing (1).jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 77
  • timken bearing (2).jpg
    timken bearing (2).jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 82

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Another worry is the market if FLOODED with counterfeits. One hint was some NSK that were advertised as " industrial packaged plain box" and the price was 1/4 of the best trusted supplier. If the price is too good to be true, it is pretty much guaranteed to be fake.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I normally purchase SKF, due to loyalty to their first breakthrough patent in 1907.

SKF has around 140 manufacturing facilities across the world in a 108 countries. They employ around 44,000 people and are the biggest bearing company in the world. SKF USA has 28 manufacturing sites in the US with over 4,000 distributors here.

I really does not matter where the product comes from, provided they are purchased through an authorized supplier. When bearings sit on a shelf in storage, they do not rotate and they have to be stored correctly with a shelf life which is not infinite.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
For low torque and speed applications, most any bearing will do. As an example, on the tensioner pulley on daughter's Honda Civic, replaced bearing with a $17 bearing from NAPA. Lasted about three months (90 day warranty.) Replaced this with a $1.99 bearing from Fastenal. 300K miles later, it's still going. Out lasted original from Honda by over 200K miles. Go figure! On our 94 Ford Areostar, idler pulley and both ends of alternator rotor have "cheap" Fastenal bearings. Been on there seven years now. Four bearings from Fastenal, were all Chinese made bearings.

Reactions: Oka

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
In today's world of manufactured products, what used to be isn't necessarily how things are or will be.
Below photo: Made where?
1     bearings - 1.jpg

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
In today's world of manufactured products, what used to be isn't necessarily how things are or will be.
Below photo: Made where?
View attachment 203958
LOL, global supply chain, parts come from all over and who knows where it went together.

Something I encountered a few times in my career before I became retarded ( retired) are bearings stocked in our company part stores for a number of years, stainless steel, yet they went bad before installation. Never could figure out how and why, but SKF recommends storage in original packaging below 70% humidity with maximum shelf life of 4 years.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The deal about that 'shelf life' isn't the bearing. Its the grease. Grease (short version) is soap and oil blended together. If the bearing sits for years, the oil evaporates out leaving the soap binder. Regreasing them? Not worth it for the time it takes to a successful job. To do an unsuccessful job it takes some time also. Been there way more than once.
1     bearing grease - 1.jpg
This bearing came from a motor that sat for many years unused. All that was left of the lubrication was soap. Had I put this in service, the bearing would have failed long before I wanted it too.
OBTW, One can tell a really bad bearing by rolling it in your fingers and feeling the grit and looseness, but one cannot tell a good bearing until its in the machine and up to speed. Been there also.

There is an exception to that rule of thumb about long term bearing storage. High quality open bearings meant for machine supplied lubrication won't have grease that goes bad. The below bearings are the same size as the electric motor bearing shown above (6203), but they are a little more pricey.
Just for fun, google up a price on a 2MM203WI DUM bearing. The motor bearing above sells anywhere from $3.00 to $10.00.
1     bearing grease a - 1.jpg

1     bearing grease b - 1.jpg

1     bearing grease b - 2.jpg

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
8-9 years ago I did an expansion on the Timken Bearing factory and their office before the brothers split the company. At that time, they in-housed all their bearings. Electric motors really need bearings with tight tolerances. Experience has taught certain countries seem in capable of consistently delivering high QC, especially Chineisum made items.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Chinese are capable of top notch quality. They are also capable of producing crap to a price point and are well known for shortcuts after the brand inspectors leave the factory. Quality of the product is the responsibility of the brand. If they don't manage it, it is their fault.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS