Not a pretty sight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
It was time to change the bandage today so I took a couple of pictures. The TS really did a job on the thumb. It is still very tender but there is no lingering pain as long as you don't touch it. The pins come out on Dec. 4 and that can't get here soon enough. I still have feeling everywhere except a very small area next to the thumb nail. I don't think numbness there will bother me very much. I was really hoping for feeling on the end of the thumb and it looks like I will have it there.

I hope the picutres are not deemed to be inappropriate. I just want everyone to be extra careful and not get careless. It only takes a nano second to do major damage. I have started doing some light woodworking. The blade guard having been installed gives me a much more secure feeling however, I am even more careful and aware of what I'm doing than I ever was before because I know the guard is not foolproof.

thumb1.jpg

thumb2.jpg

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
OUCH!

If that's not a reminder to stay safe in the shop, I don't know what is!

WOW!

Take care of that finger!

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Stuart, glad to see that you are healing up good - I am glad that you have your feeling back in there -

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Man, I have been afraid of my table saw since I bought it. I have a friend who lost a digit recently when cutting blanks for duck calls. That made me even more scared. The pictures really bring it home and will make me ever more vigilant when operating that thing. I am sorry you have had that misfortune but maybe it will help others like me be safer. I hope your recovery is quick and as pain-free as possible.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Ugh! I am not of weak stomach, but ugh! Reminds me of the hand surgery I had awhile back to remove a small tumor. It looked horrible, but after all was healed, you can't tell it anymore.

Glad you are getting feeling back, and getting back in the shop. I am heading out to mine in a few, and your pictures make me keep safety that much more in mind.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Stewart,

Sorry you're having to deal with this. Glad the pain has subsided and sensation has returned.

This incident and others have me seriously considering a Sawstop. If the US Dollar stays strong and our stock keeps climbing my Christmas bonus will make a good downpayment.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
That looks too painfully familiar, Mine wasn't the thumb though, it was the first and second fingers. I can honestly say that I feel your pain. Take care and keep the dirt out of the wound. DAMHIKT

J

jeff...

It looks remarkably good, your healing well my friend, God Speed to you

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
It looks much better than I thought it would. Glad to hear you're getting feeling back and that the pain is better. You got me thinking about trying to find a coping saw with an 8' throat. Heal fast my friend.

Ernie

R

rickc

Glad to hear you're getting along better. I am not sure I would be totally convinced about that "not feeling a thing" in regard to pulling them out. Maybe if you visited Jack Daniels or his cousin Johnny Walker BEFORE the trip to the Doc!

I am glad about the return of sensation in the thumb. Maybe you'll need to shift emphasis to the scroll saw for a while! Hang in there - only a few more weeks.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Stuart, Monday morning and that is one of the first pictures that I bring up.
Dude not cool, At least wait until the second cup of coffee,:rotflm:.

Seriously, glad to see that it is healing up. Hope the feeling comes back in it ok and no problems.

MAC

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Stuart:

It looks like it is healing nicely. I was afraid it would look a lot worse. I bet it will be visually almost unnoticable when all healed. Over 35 years ago I cut off the tip of my right pointer finger (BTW I am right handed) in a lawn mower accident I do not want to get into right now. I had a skin graft from my wrist. When I had my bandages off it look MUCH worse than yours and having the bandages off actually hurt! The dried blod and liquids stuck to the gauze and pulled on the sensitive sutures. I can still "feel" it in my mind when I think about it.

Everything healed nicely. One weird side note: The skin from my wrist must have had more temperature sensitive nerves in it. Yon know how when you grab a cup of hot liquid there is a brief delay before you feel the it? That finger gets the message faster. I also regrew a fingerprint over most of the graft.

Glad to see you are improving Stuart. Be well.

Doug

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
The "personal experience" aspect hopefully drives home the point that it could have been any one of us. Thank you for sharing this. I know (from personal experience) that sharing things that actually happened to me, it can be a bit embarrassing to admit that we screwed up. To that I say, let he/she without a scar cast the first stone.
That decision to finish tonight, or make that one last cut then I'll quit can so easily be the worst decision we make.
Glad you still have the digit (and lots more). Looks like it is healing pretty well. You are indeed remember and uplifted in healing prayers.
Good atttitude and thanks again for sharing with us all!

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Thanks for sharing. I think we all need to see this every now and then to ensure we all have respect for our tools. Glad to hear you are doing better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS