Norm's Garden Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
I made this out of 8/4 WO. Finished with Watko Exterior Natural Finish. My first time with so many mortise and tenon joints. It took me two days to get my chisels back in shape.

Attachments

• Garden Chair 001.jpg
    Garden Chair 001.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 190
  • Garden Chair 002.jpg
    Garden Chair 002.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 184

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That looks great, perfect in a shady garden setting like that. Now you just need to make a little side table to set your beer on :icon_thum

Dave:)

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Thanks guys. I mostly used or tried to use the Delta Mortise attachment to the drill press but I had real difficulty getting the sides of the mortise smooth. The flexing of the hollow chisel or my poor alignment kept me cleaning out the mortises. The last few I did by hand. Very satisfying and came out better.

As for changes, I do not know. I was focusing on getting this right that I did not think of how to design it better.

I would change how I made it regarding the mortise attachment but that has been covered extensively in another post.

Also, this has been a lesson in how tough White Oak is.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Beautiful! How many coats of Watco did you use?

J

jeff...

Who's Norm? Nice chair, good clean lines and good and wide, whoever Norm is...

T

toolferone

Well done John! You did Norm proud. It is a nice looking chair.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Great looking chair! Now that you have everything figured out, you need to make another, along with the table for the beer!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Nice job John! I like the sturdy construction, it should last a few lifetimes :icon_thum

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors