Non-Resident members

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I am writing this because we seem to have become noticed by the non NC woodworking community. That is both good and bad. The good is that people who are not from NC have seen the site and like it enough to want to join. The bad is that I will have to turn most of these people away. Something I hate to do, but it is necessary:-(

Ncwoodworker.net is intended for NC woodworkers and/or those that live close by, it is not really open for others. That is why the registration form requests both county and zip code.

Every once in a while there have been people who have joined who were not NC residents. When I have seen this, I have usually contacted them privately and asked their interest. As time went by, I found that there were some valid reasons for non-resident to be members. So first I added three new counties to accommodate those who lived around our borders. Then I added a non-resident status to allow those spent a great deal to time in NC and those who were moving to NC, and some other good reasons. Finally, I added a field so that people who are non residents could explain their special interests in NC woodworking. Lately, that field usually contains things like "woodworking advice", "photo gallery", etc. This is not really good enough for our purposes.

The reason that there is a place for non NC residents is to allow those who resides elsewhere, but live and or work a large portion of their year in NC or have special interest in woodworking in NC to also benefit from the site.
This restriction is not arbitrary as it may seem. I started the website to fulfill what I consider a niche. The niche being things of local interest, buy & sell, announcements, etc. Since, I live in NC, of course, I picked the locale of NC. This site is not about woodworking advice, though, of course, this does happen. It is about local needs, where can I find?, buy and sell. The most active forums on this site is not general woodworking but rather announcements of interest to NC woodworkers and the Who We are forum.

If a member does ask a question about something, the answer very could, and has been, "come on over to my shop and I'll show you how."

So This site is really is "community" of woodworkers whose other commonality is NC Local needs.

To open the site to others is to destroy the basic intent, spirit, and community of this site. Which is why most of us are here.

So please accept my apology for this. If your are not a resident of NC or the surrounding areas and don't have a good special interest in NC Woodworking, please don't register.

If there is reason for special interest in NC woodworking, please make sure you enter it in the proper field in the registration form or update your profile to reflect that reason. Otherwise, I'm afraid I will have to cancel /or reject membership.

Members, feel free to comment on this post, but please do it in such a manner to not insult or demean those people who are seeking membership. We have no reason to alienate these people. They have paid us a very great compliment. They have seen our community and want to become part of it, despite the fact the majority of content is local.

Last edited:
R

rickc

I agree with the underlying premise of keeping the membership restricted to NC residents. It is good to have a local "flavor" to the posts - and as you pointed out, knowing if I wanted to get together with someone for help, it would essentially be in my neighborhood. There are alternative sites to help meet the other needs, and I hope non residents can take advantage of those and are pointed in that direction.

Just as there are some sites that are restricted to club members, this one just happens to have a residency requirement. Hopefully people will understand. However, you have been very open about the scope and requirements of this site. My one suggestion is to add something to the home page notice:
This is a free, membership based site available to any residents of North Carolina.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Well said Steve. Now I do realize we may be cutting off some people with some really great skills and advice, but I feel the benefits of the residence outweights the cons. The last thing I want to do is to make people feel that this site is for "those snooty North Carolinians" (lol). But there is a very good reason it is local based.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
rcorne01 said:
My one suggestion is to add something to the home page notice:
This is a free, membership based site available to any residents of North Carolina.

Great Idea and done.

Thanks

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I really would like to see some contrary opinions. When everyone agrees with me, I get worried:lol:

I have identified 9 new members who I believe fit the "non-resident" category. I have sent them emails, explaining the situation and inviting them to clarify their profiles, if I have been mistaken. I will leave their memberships active for a few days.

If any of them would like to resopond to this thread either with their contrary opinions and/or what was it about this site that drew their interest, I would really appreciate it. Or if you prefer a response by pm or eamil would also be great.

Wow, that takes chutzpah on my part to even ask them that:roll:

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I agree with everything that's been said. Make rules, and in some cases exceptions, that are consistent with the mission and purpose of the site. Easier to make them and have them be consistent now with 300 members than to have to fix it later when there are 3000 members and more people are going to get bent out of shape.

HardRock

New User
Gil
Well, my wife says I'm always contrary..........

First, I also agree with your resident only approach, after all it is "ncwoodworker" and more importantly it your site.

However, I assume there must be a down side to non residents aprticipating or at least a percieved downside to non residents here and to eliminate that you can simply not allow them. Now, the question is: is there another method to head off the down side and still allow them to participate?

One of the main downsides I can think of is buying and selling, I don't want to wade through a bunch of ads and find out it's in California or Maine. Likewise, I don't want to hear about the great price on bits over at JB wood only to find out it's a local only store and in Iowa.

This forum is very similar to a kart racing I visit often. That forum is free and registration is very non specific to the point of anominity is the norm there. The major complaints there is people giving advice that are from totally different geographic areas from the advice requester and as mentioned above about the for sell stuff not being in your area.

I do think that this site registration solves the "area" problem.....if joe bob's got a jointer for sale, and I see he's in Alabama, I'm probably not gonna bother with his ad. Other than the for sale section, I don't see much of a geographic probelm as unlike racing, woodworking "set ups" are the same for Iowa as they are for NC.

Unwanted growth can surely be a major concern, I know the guy that started the racing forum I've mentioned, originally did it as a hobby and now it has global participation with paid advertising and has become more than a full time job for him.

This site seems pretty spot on as it is, I checked it out a good bit before I registered and it's friendly, community based atmosphere is impressive..... just like it should be. I can't help but think a lot of growth might diminish that feeling.

I am new here, and will limit my opinions, at least 'till everyone gets to know me a bit, but, you asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS