No more military discount on lumber at Lowes as of today...

tpcolson

New User
tpcolson
Not that lowes stocked a lot of great lumber, but it sure was handy for dimensional, plywood, stuff for my never-ending shop expansion or for jigs, etc...

They ended it for lumber and some other building supplies today, much like HD did last year.

Their last quarter was also the most profitable in lowes history.

hoodoo

Roger
Senior User
Was there some official announcement of the change? Regardless, that sucks.

I do still see the discount reflected if I add something to my cart from the website. Not sure how long it will last.

tpcolson

New User
tpcolson
"It cannot be applied to major appliances (including related accessories and parts), commodities (such as, but not limited to, electrical cable, electrical wire, dimensional lumber, plywood, and OSB), "

There was, and will not be, any announcement, press release, or other notice. They're not even telling the stores, and the only way a cashier will find out is when some un-hinged person loses their marbles over not getting the discount.

It was "leaked" a few days ago on a few other forums, I stocked up on plywood and dimensional last weekend at about 200$ off, which is still 500 more than I would have paid for same last year, but where prices are going, is probably 1000 less than I'll pay next month. The primary reason for ending it was due to contractor abuse of the program, followed by some genius in corporate figured this was a way to push more lowes credit cards, which give you 5% off.

I had some dimensional in my online cart from this weekend, the discount is gone now.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
That has been the trend everywhere since Covid started, McDonalds and many other restaurants have discontinued giving Military discounts as well; I am grateful for those stores, restaurants, and businesses that still do, but I remember those that don't give a military discount anymore, it works both ways.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
As far as I know, 84 Lumber still offers a Veterans discount and is my preferred place to buy if it's more than just a couple of pieces, because quality is generally better, I can drive right to the stack, store associate always comes to help load, and I can select or reject pieces without a problem.

tpcolson

New User
tpcolson
10/10 can confirm that not only 84 does the discount, they are aggressively pursuing folks that are pissed off at Lowes/HD for cancelling it. They matched my plywood order at lowes last week, but I was already at lowes for some other stuff, and it's another 5 miles out.

But they're definitely getting my next order in a few weeks.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
That has been the trend everywhere since Covid started, McDonalds and many other restaurants have discontinued giving Military discounts as well; I am grateful for those stores, restaurants, and businesses that still do, but I remember those that don't give a military discount anymore, it works both ways.

Well said Bruce

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
I have no idea if such a list exist Hank. I especially liked Bruce inferring that we can exercise our ability as a consumer and take our dollars somewhere else

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I wish I knew where one could find such a list. Last I knew, Arby's was giving a HEROE'S DISCOUNT of 50%! This is in the Hickory area, and the franchises are independently owned so it may not apply in your area. When it comes to the BIG BLUE or BIG ORANGE BOX, please remember Lowe's was locally founded and is still based in NC as opposed to Home Depot, Lowes has been giving Veterans a 10% discount on everything, even close outs and sale merchandise as opposed to Home Depot who didn't offer discounts on lumber and certain classes of building materials, sale items, closeouts etc. So, when it comes to a choice, Lowes is a local business and I support them as much as I can, but truly hope they bring the Veterans and serviceman discounts back. In the meantime, check out and visit the smaller construction materials and lumber dealers in our communities. Dollars spent in local businesses in our community multiply and turn over many times as those bucks spent in the big chains.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
funny,
Lowe's corporate must not have gotten the memo...

But...
The Military Discount can only be applied to eligible purchases. It applies to most full-price products.

It cannot be used on any sale item or with any other discount (such as, but not limited to, Lowe’s Price Promise, Lowe’s Credit 5% off Everyday Discount, volume or special pricing programs, and manager discretion price adjustments). It cannot be applied to major appliances (including related accessories and parts), commodities (such as, but not limited to, electrical cable, electrical wire, dimensional lumber, plywood, and OSB), gift cards, previous purchases, fees, installations (sold separately or as part of a bundle comprising both product and services), or any other services (such as, but not limited to, rentals, labor, delivery, shipping, extended protection plans).

Additional exclusions may apply. See store for details.

FlyingRon

Ron
Lowe's may be based here (I live not far from the corporate HQ), but they're not great paragon of virtue. I've had friends who worked at the HQ that were dumped on pretty badly by capricious management. I suspect that as with much of corporate American they chase short term stock price rather than acting out of any great ethical vision.

The one thing I've never figured out is why the closest location to the HQ is the worst store in the entire chain. Troutman is better stocked than Moorseville and I'm on a first name basis with the head of the Pro Sales desk.

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
Has anyone sent a message to Lowe's corporate office asking for a reason why the sudden unannounced change?
There may be a reason certain stores are removing the discount that corporate media isn't aligned with.

JSJ

Jeff
Corporate Member
Lowe's may be based here (I live not far from the corporate HQ), but they're not great paragon of virtue. I've had friends who worked at the HQ that were dumped on pretty badly by capricious management. I suspect that as with much of corporate American they chase short term stock price rather than acting out of any great ethical vision.

The one thing I've never figured out is why the closest location to the HQ is the worst store in the entire chain. Troutman is better stocked than Moorseville and I'm on a first name basis with the head of the Pro Sales desk.
I've always wondered that as well. The store off of 150 is oftentimes in pretty sad shape and the selection poor. You'd think that the store manager would be on his A game with corporate being so close. I am sure some corporate fat cats live in and around Mooresville and would go in there.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've always wondered that as well. The store off of 150 is oftentimes in pretty sad shape and the selection poor. You'd think that the store manager would be on his A game with corporate being so close. I am sure some corporate fat cats live in and around Mooresville and would go in there.
Lowe's also has a 'faux store' on the north side of Mooresville whose sole purpose is for vendors to do potential setups and analyze them. It's called the Planogram Facility. A fellow employee lives near there and says they often sell items used for display at a discount. The 150 store is also used as a guinea pig on occasion. Went in once while working up there and the Pro checkouts had been skewed 45 degrees to the exit to see how it affected traffic flow. It was also the first Lowe's store I ever visited that allowed self checkout on the Pro aisle with a commercial AR card payment. I guess with all the cameras they now have they figure it's worth the risk.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
To echo what Bruce (sawman101), checking out the local supply stores may be to your benefit. When wiring my shop, I found the local electrical supply place must less expensive than Lowe's. Example would be in the wire: You buy it by the foot, but they base their price on a 1,000 ft roll, which is much better than Lowe's habit of charging you more per foot in the shorter quantities. As for the local lumber supply, the convenience of pulling my truck right next to the stack (which I can still hand select from which boards I want) is worth a few cents per board, as I have less labor and less scrap. Fastener supply places are also often cheaper than Lowe's if buying by the box.

Regarding local supply places, you may want to time your visit to when the contractor volume is down (i.e. mid-morning or mid-afternoon.) With less personnel, you may be in for a wait if there is a line of professionals ahead of you getting their supplies for the day, or for the afternoon work. Although stores like Lowe's are supposedly based on "convenience", I find it anything but convenient when they relocate 50% of their stock about once a quarter so you will see other "spot buy" items while looking for what you came there for. (Yeah, that is one of my pet peeves about them). The last thing I need is to have to look up and down the aisles (good luck with asking an "associate" where something has been moved to) for the one thing I need to move my project along.

Not saying I will stop using Lowe's, but they well may become the last place I go to instead of the first. And yes, as a veteran, that discount is the main reason I shop there in the first place.

RJweb

RJ
Senior User
I live in Texa, we have 5 milItaly bases in the area, I have not seen any change in the discount other than they will not give a discount if the item is on sale, RJ

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS