Newest project finished...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Well, except for the finish! I'll let the topcoat cure for a couple of weeks and try my first rubout then. Couldn't resist sticking it in the family room for a look-see though. It was kinda hard to get a good pic of the beautiful (IMO) grain of this Sapelle top at night. There are two stretchers of oak underneath the top that are screwed into my welded steel legs. I drilled some slots (PITA) into the stretchers. I put threaded wood inserts in the underside of the top with bolts going through the stretcher slots and into them. I liked the wood stretcher idea because it gave the top a bit of a 'floating' look. This is my favorite project in my 3 month WW career. It allowed me some metal 'play' and a design that is much more my taste (contemporary, Euro) than some of the others I had tried. Probably not too impressive for the average WW because of the lack of embellishment and fancy joinery, but it fits me. Thanks for looking!

newtable1.jpg

newtable2.jpg

newtable3.jpg

p.s. - I think I'll try some of that 'fancy' joinery on my next project, after the Festool Domi gets here! 2 more weeks! :-D

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
That looks awesome. I know from recent experience just how hard it can be to make a plank look good! LOL

:roll: :rolf:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Peter, that turned out great. It is pretty impressive, as you came up with a design and made it happen. It is a custom piece of furniture that you can't find at any store...and you created it. That's impressive to me. It's simplicity showes off the beauty of the wood and nothing else. I have seen many things when the fancy jointery and embellishments overtake what really should be shown..the simple beauty of natures creation, a sweet slab of wood.
Great job, you're on your way to great things
Dave:)

pslamp32

New User
Peter
It's simplicity showes off the beauty of the wood and nothing else.
Thanks! That's what I think as well. I'm kind of minimalist in my persuasion. It must be the Asian in me, LOL. It's not that I don't find the more traditional styles amazing, I do! It just doesn't quite jive with my taste. Actually most of the work I see in the galleries here blows me away! :)

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Very nice work! I too have an occasional hankering to combine wood with metal, as both individudally are fun to work with, and beautiful in their own right, but when combined well can result in such beauty as you have there. Especially when using a large slab! Can't see a thing not to like, and it even matches your loveseat:-D

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Nobody would guess from the design and composition of that project that you have been woodworking only 3 months. You certainly have an artist's eye. The proportions are pleasing and the emphasis is on the beautiful wood. It fits perfectly in its resting place. :)

I like it a lot. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Peter,

The table is really beautiful. Thanks for sharing. If you're going to do more work on the finish (hard to think of this piece needing any work), please do share some more photos.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors