Newbie's Notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I am a real novice at this woodworking thing. It looks relatively easy when you watch a master do it either through skill or creative editing. Well, today I finished a simple pecan box with top in which to store kitchen utensils. It was my first glued panel project and has been an eye-opener for a newbie. All of my other projects are made from plywood as the main material. No matter how many shop notes and articles one reads, experience is the best teacher.

Newbie Lessons-Learned and, hopefully, not forgotten:

1. My new Dewalt thickness planer works great.

2. Pecan is hard and brittle wood compared to birch and birch plywood that I have worked with previously.

3. Just because a machinist's square says that your jointer fence is 90 deg. doesn't mean that your panel will be perfectly flat. I forgot about the book-match jointing technique that I have read about on this forum until it was too late.

4. Lots of glue joints and biscuits surely are messy.

5. A good glue scraper is invaluable.

6. "Close enough for government work" doesn't apply to a cross-cut sled. It has to be dead-on.

7. A sharp block plane can quickly fix a slightly mis-aligned joint.

8. Mark the edge onto which the hinges will be mounted so that the pilot holes aren't drilled on the wrong side.

9. Toothpicks glued into #4 pilot holes hide mistakes very well in pecan.

10. Mortising hinges with a chisel in hard pecan isn't as easy as it looks on TV.

11. Woodworking is a lot more fun when hand tools can compliment the machine tools.

Can't wait for the next project to learn more absolute truths.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Rick, it definitely sounds like you had a learning experience. That's great.:icon_thum Please post some pix of your pecan box so we can enjoy your craftsmanship.

D L

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Rick,

I'd like to see some pics too. Keep in mind that learning is large part of the enjoyment of woodworking. The journy is more important than a destination.

Ray

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Rick you have just had a full semester in the woodworking college. And it seems like you passed this level :icon_thum Half of the fun of woodworking is learning and figuring it out, IMO

"Can't wait for the next project to learn more absolute truths."

I had to quote that for the truth in it! But you will never learn the absolute truth in your next project nor your 500th. Wood is a natural material, and Mother Nature is an ornery lady, once you think that you have it all figured out, she'll throw you a board that defies all understanding.
Dave:)

rick7938

New User
Rick
You're right, Dave. I suppose that there are no absolute truths as far as the wood is concerned. If there were, then woodworking would be a cookie-cutter operation instead of a constant challenge. However, just as I didn't have to stick a fork in the outlet twice when I was a kid to learn my lesson, I won't start drilling pilot holes for hinges in my projects again without double and triple-checking the correct location.

I'm grateful for all of the feedback and great tips that I pick up from these forums.

Ken Weaver

New User
Ken Weaver
You're on the right track Rick - I keep a "lessons learned" for each project. There's always something new to learn - that's the beauty of this hobby.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I think a 'notebook' is a great idea... even for keeping notes on quick builds and jigs. It's like a writer that keeps a notebook or jounal to develop re-usable characters over time. I keep both lessons learned and just plain accopmlishments (OK... that part is a short list...) Someday, I'll assemble and arrange the notes and drawings into something that makes sense.

Ray

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Your off to a good start:icon_thum
Maybe I should write things down instead of just keeping it in my head:eusa_thin
But then again I would never read the notes:-(
Keep up the good work and take a picture or 2

cskipper

Cathy
I'd probably forget to read the notes, even if I could find them again. But if I did, I'd remember that I had already learned that particular lesson at least one time before! :lol: Sounds like you're on the way to learning the "best" way.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Rick, given your approach I am sure you will learn from your mistakes and your work product will reflect the effort.

Do you have any pics of your latest project?

Chuck

DavidF

New User
David
rick7938 said:
You're right, Dave. I suppose that there are no absolute truths as far as the wood is concerned. If there were, then woodworking would be a cookie-cutter operation instead of a constant challenge. However, just as I didn't have to stick a fork in the outlet twice when I was a kid to learn my lesson, I won't start drilling pilot holes for hinges in my projects again without double and triple-checking the correct location.

I'm grateful for all of the feedback and great tips that I pick up from these forums.

Ah, there's another case for those face and edge marks I spoke so highly of:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS