New tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

This really ain't such a big deal. But was marked clearance in a super walmart in southern IL for $9.99. Since I broke and fixed my POS harbor freight one twice now, I hope this one will last a little longer. I really could not pass it up, since it was brand new sealed in the box. I like air tools :-D

Attachments

• Mar06_01.jpg
    Mar06_01.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 137

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Nice!!! Great deal. Does it random orbit or just spin? I've never used an air sander before, I bet it's a lot quieter :eusa_danc
Dave:)

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
My experience with an air powered sander like that one is the swirl is too big and ends up making a pattern in the wood I am sanding. That happens even with finer grit paper, all the way down to 400. There are air powered sanders out there that have a smaller swirl but they aren't the inexpensive ones, and even the high dollar ones you have to play with some to get the best finish. Those work great in the automotive application and I guess if you aren't too aggressive with them may work well for you on wood, maybe I'm too aggressive????:-? I've got a Hutchins sander that I used to do some body work with that does a fine job on metal, poor on wood, and a snap-on that does sora-ok on metal that does a bang up job for me on wood. Go figure.:eusa_thin But hey, for the price you can't go wrong.....have fun with it!!!!

Last edited:
J

jeff...

Philip you are very correct on the swirl pattern. I only use a sander like this to sand rough wood. I've never tried anything over 80 grit with it and finish sand with my 6" and 4" belt sanders at high grits. A good example use might be the exercise we did at Dave's on the slab top. I brought it home and used my air powered sander to knock down the high spots, then hit it with my belt sander to level it off. It worked pretty well and was pretty fast to boot. I really like the aggressiveness of one of these big air powered sanders, it makes short work out of what otherwise would be a big job. But with aggressiveness comes the need to be careful too. It'll gouge a hunk of wood in no time flat. Anyways at 9.99 I could not pass it up especially since my POS HF sander is dead it just doesn't know it yet.

Thanks

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
It is only sweeter if you were in WalMart killing time, poking around, and found the bargain. Who said, "Loafing will never get your anywhere"?

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Sound like a gloat to me!! :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

Can you say, You Suck!! when talking about a tool that operates on compressed air? :lol: :lol:

Chuck

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Hey, something else about air powered tools that is neat, they are all variable speed, you don't have to pay extra for that feature like you do with an electric tool. I couldn't live without my air compressor and air tools. :icon_thum Now if we could get someone to build a woodworking friendly air sander with dust collection on it.......:eusa_thin

dozer

Mike
That is a gloat worthy of a " You Suck " did you buy 2 of them for that price you can't go wrong

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
With air powered DA (dual action) sanders, you do the opposite of an electric with the start and stop. Pneumatic sanders are designed to be started on the surface and stopped on the surface. They are usually not designed to just sit flat, and work best if slightly tilted toward the nose. This provides better resistance against the dual action bearing, so it doesn't spin up. This will eliminate a lot of the swirl marks. They are noisier than electric so you will definitely want ear protection. The smaller palm type with the paddle on top would be better suited for fine finishing wood. The 6" ones with the handle are usually more aggressive than the smaller ones.

Oh yeah, YOU SUCK for gettin' one at that price, Jeff. Good Gloat!!

Go

J

jeff...

Hey guys wanted to let you know I fired this puppy up today and it works very well and rough sanded a few more sycamore slabs. The swirl pattern is pretty tight in comparison to my HF one. It's very smooth, well balanced and easy to operate with one hand. I rank this tool very high on the gotta buy cheap tools list.

Thanks

sapwood

New User
Roger
Ok Jeff. You got a great price, pixs, and affirmation that it does the job. :eusa_clap

YOU SUCK!

Heck you've already got your money's worth :lol:

Roger

zinfella

New User
Carl Stone
All of the air sanders that I ever saw used LOTS of air, so you had to have a pretty good size air compressor to keep up with them.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
All of the air sanders that I ever saw used LOTS of air, so you had to have a pretty good size air compressor to keep up with them.

While running, they usually use from 10 to 12+ cfm at 80 - 100 psi. Yep, that's about double the best a 110v unit can do unless you have a large tank and pause occasionally (about every 3 - 5 minutes) for the compressor to catch up.

Go

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Compressor size is a big thing, I used to have a small 110 unit that had about a 20 gallon tank, it would barely keep up with a sander, and a paint gun would over do it. I replaced that with a 5hp two stage compressor from sears with an 80 gallon tank that does fine, will even shut off while spraying, and sanding usually can go for a half hour before it shuts off for a few seconds, then back on. I'd say the compressor just barely out performs the sanders use going on that time. The big compressor that is two stage is quieter and builds much more efficient than a single stage unit does. You might even find something like that on sale somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors