New To The Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emoryh6688

New User
Emory
Hello all. I am new to the club and to WNC area. My wife and I live primarily in Charleston, SC but we recently acquired a condo in Hendersonville (Laurel Park). I am a woodworking hobbyist with very little experience. I have mostly made indoor/outdoor furniture and cutting boards.

My workshop is in Charleston and is pretty complete. I have the space to develop another workshop here in NC but I am thinking about just setting up a lathe for bowl turning and see how that works. I am very interested in learning bowl turning if anyone can point me in the direction of a mentor or classes.

Emoryh6688

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Welcome Emory! I'm not a turner but you can expect to hear from several soon.

bobby g

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Glad you came onboard. Lots of turners on here, those some of us are dedicated flat-wooders.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard Emory...boy I do love to visit Charleston.....lots of good folks here...Im sure one of the turners will help you out....thats something I need to learn as well...hope to see pics of your work real soon:eusa_danc

M

McRabbet

Emory,

Welcome to the NC Woodworker -- it was me that sent you an email earlier today about the Western NC Woodworkers Association (WNCWA). This forum is a great source for loads of turning info and we have many very accomplished turners that love to share that knowledge. In our area in the western part of the state, we have WNCWA which is broader in scope that just woodturning and one of the largest woodturning groups in the country, the Carolina Mountain Woodturners that meet monthly (usually the third Saturday) at the Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway in eastern Asheville. One member here is aplpickr (Bill Turpin) whoi is both a turner and lives in Hendersonville and is a member of the Carolina Mtn Woodturners. Look him up in the Members listings and you'll find his contact info.

By the way, I live on the northern side of Hendersonville, off Mountain Road between Haywood Rd and US 25 (Hendersonville Hwy).

We'll look forward to your participation in our forums.

Emoryh6688

New User
Emory
Thanks for all the good information. We normally are in H'ville for about 2 weeks at a time on a sporadic basis. I would love to catch a forum when I am in town. The local contact information is great to know but at the moment I don't know how to find a member on the web site for further contact info. I am still exploring the site so i will probably figure all this out soon.

Emory

M

McRabbet

Emory,

Go to the Community Tab and drop down the menu to reveal the Member's List and click on it. At the upper right corner of the first page of members, click on Search and select Advanced Search. On the new screen, type in Henderson in the County field and it will return all of the members of NCWoodworker from Henderson County -- a total of 88 people! Many are inactive, but that will give you an idea about how to find members. Click on a members name in the listing and you will see their public profile and usually you can send them an email or a PM (private message). Hope this helps.
Thanks for all the good information. We normally are in H'ville for about 2 weeks at a time on a sporadic basis. I would love to catch a forum when I am in town. The local contact information is great to know but at the moment I don't know how to find a member on the web site for further contact info. I am still exploring the site so i will probably figure all this out soon.

Emory

LewisT

New User
Lewis
Welcome Emory,
Great group here and very helpful. I'm not sure about the Charleston area, but up the road from you, on the I-26, about 85 miles or so, Columbia SC there's a group that meets monthly at Mann Tools right off the Interstate. They offer classes as well on Saturdays. They have a link on Mann's site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS