New rules for me working in my shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
My SIL had brought over a small pine trunk she needed a couple of pieces replaced, I had the necessary wood, so no big deal, no more than an hour of time including wiping a small amount of stain on the replaced pieces of wood.

I went back last night to put the finishing touches on it, and had set the portable drill with 1/4" bit on the floor beside the trunk. In a span of 90 seconds, I plumb forgot it was there. I went to make a step (wearing sandals, not even tennis shoes), my small toe kicked the end of the drill bit. !@%$@!^%@%$%!

:eek: I hopped around, half expecting to see the drill hanging from the end of my toe. No blood, lots of sweat and tears.

1- no sandals allowed in the shop. Period.
2- no tools on the floor

Don't let this happen to you!

Neal

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I consider myself warned - even though I don't have sandals I could wear to the shop. Not that that i don't have my own hazards underfoot, I just won't experience that combination.

Glad things weren't more serious.

THe punster in me can't resist though - "I am certain that hurt more than a little bit!"

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
After dropping a #5 plane on my foot I have the same rules. I wear the crocs below, which eep things protected but well-ventilated. They also have the added advantage that my wife HATES them :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• 204063_101_ALT140.jpg
    204063_101_ALT140.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 332

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good find Richard, i think our wives would be in the same mindset. LOL

nn4jw

New User
Jim
In my late teens and early 20's I worked on trains (rebuilding boxcars), planes (heavy tube era electronics) and automobiles (gas statiion while in college) where safety gear was pretty much a requirement. The one time I was working on a car on a lift without my steel toe boots I managed to drop a brake drum on my foot and crushed the toenail on my right foot. 50 years later that toenail still isn't right.

Learned my lessons and I don't work in my shop without steel toed footwear, the kind a razor sharp chisel can be dropped on and not penetrate. Or slag from cutting metal with a torch or metal filings from grinding can't drop down inside.

Ya pays your money and ya takes your chances.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just wear shoes. I have never even owned sandals or flip-flops. Growing up in Minnesota has its advantages

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Like Jim, I've worn steel toe shoes my whole career. When not at work, whether its on the farm or in the woodshop, I still wear them, habits are hard to break.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I won't lie, I wear sandals in the shop all the time, but I wear safety shoes when I'm working on my tractors; tractor stuff is heavy!

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I to have say I'm real bad about wearing sandals or cheap slip on sneakers that offer zero protection for the foot. It only takes something falling from the bench of course with a really sharp edge to put you out of commission for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS