New router fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I finally got around to making a fence for my router table (thanks Steve it rocks!!!).

It is sorta a hybrid of Norm's and Pat Warner's.
69CG6572.JPG

View image in gallery

The base is clamped to the table and the fence rides on the base via 2 UHMW PE runners. The fence only has 3" of travel but this is meant to be fine adjustment.

At some point I will attach a cheap digital caliper and I would love to make it screw-advance a-la woodgears.ca. This will give me repeatability (via the digital caliper) and the screw advance will make fine adjustment easier. But the existing mechanism is super smooth so I am not in any rush :).

Salem

4yanks

New User
Willie
Nice. I built Pat Warner's fence. While I love mine I can see that yours probably addresses some of it's shortcomings, notably dust collection, accessory attachment and height. Enjoy.

eyekode

New User
Salem
The thing I really couldn't understand on Pat's was that the front face didn't seem to come down to the table. Maybe the acrylic curtain comes all the way down?

So far the one thing I would have done differently is how the sliding split fence attaches to the base. The big mistake was using the same bolts to attach dust collection and the split fence. I should have separated these because I really like to clamp down the fence but the DC port is just plastic. I am afraid I will split it if torqued too much. Also I wish I had given it a little more thought on how to keep from having through holes in the split fence. I didn't have enough T-track to do it (and didn't want this solution because it makes replacing the fence tedious) and I don't have a T slot cutter. I might pick one up to avoid the through holes when/if I replace the split fence.

Salem

richlife

New User
Rich
NICE! Salem. Looks like a better version of what I have on my Craftsman router table.

If you get to modifying it, you may want to look at MY view of an ultimate router table/fence that was in FWW 169, p 68 (I believe you have access to it :wink_smil ). This is the one I will build someday.

Rich

eyekode

New User
Salem
Rich that is pretty nice! I really like the horizontal router mounting. Would make mortices less scary and more precise.

PS: Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors