New project for our Outreach program

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mason bee habitat
Debut of this new project will be this coming week at the Klingspor Extravaganza

And we need some helpers please

F5150AB8-0010-463D-AE9E-D690013D8B60.jpeg

Children will cut three pieces of cedar with 60 degree miters using a custom hands-free miter box

EC1AC2D8-CD87-4A14-BF17-2AE81BA45E5E.jpeg

Triangle is assembled with 1/4 dowels in thru holes. Spring clamps hold sides together while drilling and pinning. Titebond glue can be added for longevity

9C4084EE-6AC6-4DFD-92C1-C300C980AAB1.jpeg
93B74E56-8B77-43DF-91FD-0CA91EC404AF.jpeg
9D4CA497-7B5A-4305-821D-26C10CB1BC72.jpeg

Bamboo pieces are glued in to create the Mason Bee chambers

E0490FA4-84CD-4AC0-89E7-CA5D3BAAC7E5.jpeg

A walnut shell is added for a watering station - every hotel needs a swimming pool

F5150AB8-0010-463D-AE9E-D690013D8B60.jpeg

And finally a cord is added for hanging

43B0BBD2-6957-4CA4-8AC3-6D7F7951F0DA.jpeg

We have supplies ready to make 60plus bee habitats next Friday and Saturday at the Klingspor Extravaganza in Hickory

Please signup to help

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Interestingly enough the Mason Bee is a better pollinator than Honey Bees. So with rural development being what it is, natural habitats are dwindling. So help a Mason Bee out and provide them a home!

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Interestingly enough the Mason Bee is a better pollinator than Honey Bees. So with rural development being what it is, natural habitats are dwindling. So help a Mason Bee out and provide them a home!

and they also are not aggressive like Honey Bees, and rarely sting. Might be good to have a small printout explaining to attendees the advantages of Mason Bees over other pollinators.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Mason Bee good. Wood Boring Bee AKA Carpenter Bee bad. The one that drills perfect half inch holes in all your house trim and even PT deck lumber! Due to the destrustion, I hang TRAPS. I know, good polinators but my shop does need polinating. Now, bumble bees are also great polinators and I encourage as many of them as I can.

I was given a pile of milled walnut that had a carpenter pee colony inside. Made me look like Babe Ruth once I starting planing that lumber....

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Margaret, my fiance, wrote a nice article about mason bees. I will have copies to hand out at KE

There are many kinds of bees in the United States, but you are creating a habitat specifically for MASON BEES. Mason bees are more solitary bees that do not live in a hive or make honey or beeswax like other bees you have seen. Their contribution to people is to pollinate crops and flowers to help provide good food to eat and pretty flowers to enjoy. The name "Mason Bee" is due to their habit of using mud or other "masonry" products in constructing their nests. The females prepare their nests but they do not build them entirely. They use gaps like between bricks or stones, holes in wood made by other insects, or hollow stems or tubes. The habitat you made provides the hollow tubes where Mason bees like to lay their eggs. Within a few days of emerging from her own tube, the female has chosen a nest site and has begun to gather pollen and nectar for her nests that will serve as protection, bedding, and food until the young bees emerge. After the nest is prepared, the bee backs into the hole and lays an egg on top of the mass. After the egg is laid, she creates a wall of mud, which is also the back of the next cell. The process continues until the tube is filled with wall, egg, wall, egg, wall, egg, etc.. Female eggs are laid in the back of the nest and male eggs toward the front, and then she creates one more wall to seal the entrance to the tube.
They are very docile and rarely sting when handled (only when they are under distress such as when wet or squeezed). Their sting is not very painful, but those with insect allergies should still be careful and have their medication close by. Thank you for helping to save Mason bees.

Attachments

• Mason Bees.pdf
    52 KB · Views: 84

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is great Phil!
Do you know or did Margret learn in her research if the nests need to be cleaned out and or replaced? If so how often? When is the best time to place one of these habitats?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS