New Project: Drill Press Rolling Base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck N

Chuck
Corporate Member
I just completed the Woodsmith SN12818 mobile drill press base for my new Jet JDP17DX 17" drill press. I made the drill press from birch plywood scraps and hardware I ordered from McMaster Carr. I like the way the 4 leveling feet can be lowered to keep the base from rolling, level it, and make it extremely steady.

For a newbie this was a good project. I made cuts with a track saw, bandsaw, and a hole saw on the drill press. Other holes were drilled with the drill press which helped me begin developing some skill with the new machine. The edges of the plywood required some filling with wood putty and sanding before painting. In addition there were several different types of hardware to work with: nuts, bolts, lock washers, wheels, screws, leveling feet, threaded studs, and knobs.

Here are pictures before and after painting to match the drill press base.

First the side view unpainted:

IMG_3974_-_Version_2.jpeg

Next the top view unpainted:

IMG_3973_-_Version_2.jpeg

Now the side view painted with base attached:

IMG_3985.jpeg

Finally the top view with base attached:

IMG_3989.jpeg

Chuck N

Chuck
Corporate Member
I have been wanting to do this also..... do you find it tippy when you roll it around.....

It hasn't been tippy. The wheels are 3 inches and the bottom of the mobile base is between 1/2 and 3/4 of an inch off the floor which keeps the weight low and helps prevent tipping. . If I were to do it again I would purchase wider wheels. I bought the wheels recommended in the plan. I do think a wider wheel would provide more stability. So far it is stable enough. Once I get it situated I don't plan to move it very much.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I would definitely clean the floor before I moved the drill press. A small piece of wood can stop one wheel and you might push the drill right over. just be careful.

Roy G

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Thanks for sharing.

I have thought about designing something for mine. May need to borrow this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS