New Project... CD/VHS/DVD Storage Wall-Mount Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
OK... I just finished my lastet project and shared the results with you guys in an earlier thread. Now what?

Well, I am about to embark on my next project. You may be wondering why that last line sounded like to opening line of an epic saga! Well, my projects tend to take as long to complete as an epic saga. Maybe if I share the progress with you guys, I may be shamed into getting into the shop a little more often.

This project is simply a wall-hung storage cabinet with doors for CD, DVD and VHS storage. It will have some similarities to the 'Country Wall Shelf' with the door option in Woodsmith Vol 23/No 135.

country-wall-shelf-toc.jpg

As with my last project, this is a learning project of sorts. I am going to work on dimensioning 'rough' lumber. Since these storage cabinets are meant to be used in conjuction with our existing entertainment center, I am going to have to deal with matching the finish as best I can.

So, what have I done so far??? I have settled on a general plan. I had to break out some of that arcane trigonometry that there really is a use for. I want to put a 3 degree tilt back on the shelfs to help keep the cases toward the back. So I had to figure out big the vertical and horizontal opening had to be. :eusa_thin :eusa_thin :eusa_thin OK, so I could have just drawn the 87 degree opening and laid the cases on it to find the maximum opening. And that would have taken a tenth of the time. (See, there is always something to learn!) :slap:

Next, I am going to draw out the plans, full-size. I thought I would take Lon Schleining's advice on another project. Then I start dimensioning some lumber.

I guess we'll see how much progress I make over the long, 4-day weekend.

Have a great 4th of July!!! Remember, our freedom has never been free. Many thanks to those who are and have stood to gain and protect that freedom.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
That looks like it will be another great project Marvin. I look forward to seeing your WIP pix. Please keep us posted.

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS