new project and a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
Starting a new project - have young (1 & 2) neice & nephew that I got "volunteered" :wink_smil to build a play kitchen set for (stove, ref, and sink). So here is the sketchup for the stove - for reference, it is 38" high x 24" wide x 14" deep)...
Play_Kitchen_Stove.jpg

View image in gallery

Making it out of glued beech (purchased from North Carolina Woodworker Russ Denz - thanks! great looking wood - he still has much more left) and walnut highlights.

QUESTION: In joining the 14" wide and 8" wide horizontal pieces (beech glue-ups) to the vertical sides, do I need to be too concerned about wood movement? I was thinking of dadoing and gluing them in, but then was second guessing. :icon_scra:icon_scra

Any thoughts from the gurus of North Carolina Woodworker land? :help:

Thanks
Dan

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Its a good question.

As I read the "rules", since you don't have cross grain, gluing front to back is fine for a solid wood carcass.

At least thats what come to mind.....

Jim

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You should have no wood movement problems as long as the board's grains are all oriented the same way. The horizontal shelves should have the long grain runing left to right or the inverse, and the vertical sides should have the long grain running top to bottom or the inverse. If oriented that way all boards will move in the same way and not cause any structural problems.

For a little bit of inspiration here is something I built very similar. But I used MDF for it all for the cost factor and the fact that it would be painted. One of my favorite features is where I inlaid a thin sheet of steel into the fridge door so it would be magnetic...you can't have a fridge without magnets all over it.

skitchen002.jpg

Dave:)

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
thanks for the info - I always get confused on the wood movement thing as I usually have used plywood.

My brother and sister in law are really into having nice looking "heirloom" items so I thought I'd use decent looking wood and just poly it. I'll have to think how I can inlaw some steel into the ref/freezer doors - go for the stainless look. A couple of questions.

Where did you get the steel? Also what did you use for door handles, faucets and front stove knobs - just starting to contemplate how to keep it from skyrocketing in cost :no:

Dan

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I bought the sheet metal at Lowes, routed out a recess and epoxied in it place. The fridge door handles and sink knobs and faucet are all wood, either turned on the lathe or sculpted on the BS, and then painted with chrome paint.

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors