Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchwood

New User
Don
Tried to post a new thread today with pictures. A total waste of time. I've probably posted 50 or so projects over the past 10 years and never had a problem... but this is ridiculous.. It wasn't broke, so who decided to "fix" it ???? :thumbs_do:thumbs_do:thumbs_do:thumbs_do:thumbs_do:thumbs_do:thumbs_do!!!!

Don

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
If you upload photos to the original Photo Gallery (from the "Gallery" tab) then the most straightforward way to insert the photos into your post is via the "My Photos" button (looks like a camera resting in the palm of a hand), click on each photo you wish to insert in your post, then close the pop up window or tab when finished and they will have been inserted into your post (this is how this feature has always worked and has not changed).

If you are electing to use the newer Attachments Manager interface to upload and attach photos then you will need to open the "Advanced Editor" (click the "Go Advanced" button below the Quick Reply editor if necessary) to access the Attachments Manager since its button is not available within the Quick Reply editor that most of us default to. Once the Attachments Manager pop up window/tab opens you can upload your desired photos then click either the "Insert" button (to include just the links to the attached photos) or click the "Insert Inline" button to both embed photos and links into your post. Then close the window or tab when finished and the photos, or their links, will be embedded into your post once you have submitted your post (this has been normal behavior for the Attachments Manager interface).

The only thing that has really changed is that the Attachments Manager presently defaults to inserting links due to a site issue in that area, but you can get around that if you click the "Insert Inline" button after uploading your attachment photos but before closing the Attachments Manager window/tab.

Please be advised that all of these features can break (and this has always been the case) if your web browser is configured to block pop up windows/tabs for our site (or all sites) by default. In that case the solution is to add an exception to the Pop-up window/tab block for the "ncwoodworker.net" domain. Both web browser updates and third party security suites have been known to alter the default popup settings from time to time without informing the user first. Fortunately most web browsers permit you to define exceptions on a per site/domain basis so that you can preserve popup functionality for "approved" sites if you go into the web browser's configuration/settings screen.

For the sake of full disclosure, there are some ongoing issues with the site as concerns mixed content issues due to an SSL policy change that was implemented when the new Chat software was installed, but I have never been able to get an explanation as to why the unplanned policy change was made, which complicates rectifying things since I do not know the underlying basis for the original change and it was not my change. Some browsers are more affected by such mixed content issues than others -- though blocked pop up windows/tabs, as mentioned above, is the most likely thing to truly break adding photos to posts, so investigate that possibility first as web browser updates and third party security suites sometimes change those web browser settings on a whim without informing the user. Whether the mixed content issues get fixed depends largely upon whether or not the reason for the unplanned change is ever made available to me (I can not just arbitrarily undo others work) versus what date the Board ends up settling upon at which point the whole of vBulletin, upon which these forums have always been based, is scrapped entirely as there no longer exists a viable upgrade path with this product going forward. Unfortunately, changing to an entirely different forum package will be a rather painful process for all of us since much will change (but especially for the admin team as it will involve thousands of hours worth of labor to complete and likely some extended downtime as well). We will be upgrading to Xenforo if I recall correctly and a lot will change then, which complicates investing a lot of additional time in what has now become a dead end product (sadly, but if vBulletin no longer wishes to provide a useful software product from here on then it is a change we will all have to work through to get to the other side -- fortunately Xenforo seems to be a very good product and was created by those disillusioned developers that ultimately left vBulletin).

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Tried to post a new thread today with pictures. A total waste of time.

It might be useful to explain exactly what you mean. Did your pictures upload fine to your Gallery or not? Okay, if they uploaded then your frustration is from trying to attach the pictures to the text of your post? How did you try to do that?

Unfortunately a site fix isn't gonna happen tomorrow so everyone's trying band-aid get arounds for now. You've got a lot of nice photos in your Gallery and it's a shame that you can't post the newest ones like the cabinet added to your Gallery on October 14!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS