New Policy statement - Part two

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
After my first reading, I think that you have clarified all cloudy points, and stated them well.
Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
OK........... so this means that we also will ask people to limit what they say about themselves in their biography as well. Like curley.

M

McRabbet

Excellent new statements under religion and politics to clarify prior concerns -- I only found one problems, here:

Areas Of Focus

Essentially all areas (with the exception of Private Messages and Email) of this site are open for the staff to moderate. In particular, the following areas will be scrutinized:
Threads, posts, comments and replies in the forums, Photo Galleries, Link Library, Download Library and any future additions to the site.
Signatures
  1. Profile Biography
  2. Username
  3. Avatar
  4. Profile Picture
The word Signatures needs to placed properly in the "Threads, posts..." sentence or added at a numbered item (preferred option).

My $0.02

Rob

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
OK........... so this means that we also will ask people to limit what they say about themselves in their biography as well. Like curley.
Yes, consistancy & clarity:yes4lo: ??

Policy said:
Many of our members are very devout and feel that their religion and beliefs play an extremely important place in their lives. We applaud the fact that you have strong spiritual beliefs and live your life by them. But there will be other members who feel the same except that their spiritual beliefs may be in direct contradiction. Please remember that some of mankind's worst and longest lasting wars were fought over differences of spiritual belief. While I feel sure nothing said on this site will result in violence, I am sure that some statements of a religious nature will eventually cause some level of disharmony. So in the spirit of "prevention" mentioned above, all religious content is banned from this site.

Last edited:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Sorry about that. My html editor, "Coffee Cup" made some changes on my behalf.:lol: Should be fixed.
Excellent new statements under religion and politics to clarify prior concerns -- I only found one problems, here:

Areas Of Focus

Essentially all areas (with the exception of Private Messages and Email) of this site are open for the staff to moderate. In particular, the following areas will be scrutinized:
Threads, posts, comments and replies in the forums, Photo Galleries, Link Library, Download Library and any future additions to the site.
Signatures
  1. Profile Biography
  2. Username
  3. Avatar
  4. Profile Picture
The word Signatures needs to placed properly in the "Threads, posts..." sentence or added at a numbered item (preferred option).

My $0.02

Rob

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I feel that the policy now says what I wanted to say and provide some rational and provides some guidelines for the moderators to follow. So for now I am done except for typos and any requested clarifications and/or wording changes. But I will not be making any changes to the intent.

I feel very strongly that a policy must written and presented to members as a done deal. I also feel very strongly that the intent of the policy I have written is the correct one to use.

But I will not force this upon you. Encourage yes, force no. If people don't believe in it or feel they can live with it, then it won't be enforced at all, or worse it will be enforced unevenly which will only cause even more problems. So I intend to leave it to this group in general and Monty as Webmaster in particular. Monty, you should decide whether or not to implement it as is, create a modification of this one or even a totally new one. If you to decide to use this one, I will take the heat by announcing it.

In all our discussions about this, the only really sticking point has been certain types of expressions of a person's religious belief. So, I will offer this as an hypothetical. In these times, what would happen if some member put the phrase "Allah Akbar" in their signature or biography. Or put an Islamic symbol in their Avatar?

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

In all our discussions about this, the only really sticking point has been certain types of expressions of a person's religious belief. So, I will offer this as an hypothetical. In these times, what would happen if some member put the phrase "Allah Akbar" in their signature or biography. Or put an Islamic symbol in their Avatar?
Both uses would be a violation of the policy since they are presonal expressions of religious belief, even if written in Arabic.

Rob

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Both uses would be a violation of the policy since they are personal expressions of religious belief, even if written in Arabic.

Rob
What I was getting at, what would the reaction be by our members if allowed to stay, given that the phrase is emotionally connected to our current military actions.

My point was that if we allowed curley's statement then we'd also have to allow Allah Akbar, even though the phrase means God is great. Certainly in English it is pretty non-controversial.

(Rob, I suspect you already knew what I was getting at:yes4lo: )

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
As an Arabic speaker and in my role as moderator, I shall endeavour to root out any veiled Arabic/muslim religious statements!

Monty

New User
Monty
I have stated before that I have absolutely no problem with "Allah Akbar" or "Jesus is my Saviour", when people are trying to express who they are to the membership. Like maybe in the "Who we are" forum or in the profile biography. But I also understand that it would be foolish to expect everyone to be this open minded about it. Also, this is a woodworking forum and we're supposed to be discussing, for the most part, woodworking. It is not a venue to try to convert the masses.

I also have no problem with "screwed" or "gotwood" - I think they're funny. It surprises me that people found them questionable. I think most people use the double entendre or self-deprecating humor to some degree, and the thing that makes a lot of things funny is the fact that it's kind of "edgy". I suppose not everyone will see the humor in it, though. I think this will be the hardest thing to pick out, for me at least.

The avatars also would never have bothered me. These kinds of things help paint a picture of what the person behind the avatar is like. But, here again -- this is a woodworking forum, not a place to engage in political debate. Some of the worst threads I have seen at that other forum have centered around certain political issues.

Having said all that... it would be my preference not to have a policy like this at all - I don't like the idea of "policing" the members - but I understand the need for these guidelines. Having guidelines in place helps give the members an explanation of why these kinds of rules are needed, and will probably prevent most problems. I disagreed with some of the interventions that Steve did early on, but it seems that they have probably prevented more friction than they caused. At least now we will have a policy to point to when an intervention is needed.

Thanks Steve for all the effort you have put into clarifying your position. The rules are pretty clear and enforceable, and I think we should go with it.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I want to thank everyone for their support in getting this written. I got the kind of feedback that was constructive and helpful.

I also want to thank Monty for agreeing to let me go ahead with this. I know in many ways this whole process has gone the grain. Whether he was insomniac or Monty, he has provided support and direction for this site from the very beginning.:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, it seems that we have had complete compliance with the policies without any issues. GotWood (now Dusty Sawyer) and curley has modified his profile bio. Screwed is unfortunately gone, by his lack of completing the registration.

Now what are we going to talk about :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, done Steve, your eloquence in writing the new policy smoothed a difficult issue over well :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Well, it seems that we have had complete compliance with the policies without any issues. GotWood (now Dusty Sawyer) and curley has modified his profile bio.

Fyi, I sent PMs to both people advising them that they were not in compliance. (Actually put more gently).

I didn't hear from curley, but I did from GotWood. He said he never even thought of the possible second meaning. He said he got the idea from the "gotWood" t-shirt he saw at Woodcraft. I advised him that I had the same t-Shirt. he was gentlemanly about the whole thing. As has been almost always the case when we take the time to explain. the issue or problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS