new member reflections

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdarnell78

New User
Jeff
Greetings,
I'm an Appalachian State graduate from 1986. I was in the Industrial Arts program with a concentration in Woodworking... but then I somehow ended up in the printing industry for over 25 years. I'm trying to knock the rust off any woodworking skills I may have had back in the day when I had the honor of studying under Bill Hanner, Eric Reichard and their colleagues. Phil Armstrong, now a teacher at ASU, was a classmate and mentor in the early 80's.

I miss the fellowship of working along side fellow craftsmen who were building amazing projects! I also have 1000's of board ft of red oak logs that will be sawn in early January into a variety of lengths and thicknesses. I will attempt several "live edge" projects after the lumber seasons for x amount of time. Both hurricanes did a number on our home in Durham.

Historically, I've been used to working with kiln dried material in the 8% moisture content range. Starting a niche lumber company business will have a learning curve and I hope to gain some insights on how best to stack, sticker, store and season the red oak to use for projects over the next 10 + years....Lord willing. I should have plenty to share if anyone wants to be part of the "slabfest" when the sawyer comes on January 8, 2019.

I also need a workshop consultant to help me get organized ....with the tools I already have but aren't used because my shop isn't quite finished and has become a storage facility after the death of my parents and all the "stuff" that comes with this type of transition and season of life.
This is a paying gig. Also, on January 8, I will hire people to assist with the red oak slabbing as this could be a younger man's type of laborious task.
I'm not sure what to expect once the slabs start piling up.

Thanks for letting me join your Forum!

Sincerely,
Jeff Darnell
aka jdarnell78

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard, Jeff. You have come to the right web site. There are many members in your section of the sawdust pile.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Welcome Jeff,

It might be good for you to call and set up a visit with Scott Smith at www.wpsawmill.com

He has ginormous lumber cutting tools, a fantastic shop, kilns, lumber ready to use, probably the most experience with cutting and drying lumber in the State, and is an all around great guy to know.

Looking forward to seeing your work and good luck with your business.

Last edited:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Welcome to the friendliest sawv dust pile on the web. Looking forward to reading your many future posts.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Jeff, you'll have the rust knocked off in no time.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Welcome to the forum Jeff, feel free to ask questions, start discussions and share your projects

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Jeff, welcome to the friendliest sawdust pile on the web. Probably because NCWW is currently having problems with our photo posting facility no one has mentioned, We love pictures." When the photo posting glitch is repaired, please post many photos. Again, welcome aboard!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Welcome Jeff,

It might be good for you to call and set up a visit with Scott Smith at www.quartersawnoak.com

He has ginormous lumber cutting tools, a fantastic shop, kilns, lumber ready to use, probably the most experience with cutting and drying lumber in the State, and is an all around great guy to know.

Looking forward to seeing your work and good luck with your business.

Mike, thank you for the kind words. Jeff reached out to me via e-mail and we are conversing regarding his project.

FYI my local website is wpsawmill.com. Much more info there about our local services.

Scott

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Jeff, I see you're in Durham. I live in Chapel Hill. Send me a PM and if so desired, we can coordinate a day/time and you can come see my shop.

Michael
Oh, welcome to NCWW! ....the friendliest ww group on the net!

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Welcome to NCWW, Jeff.
As to a workshop consultant, you might reach out to Stuart Kent by member search and PM. Other consideration for some less formal input would be to use Sketchup, model your shop, and drop some visual ideas here on another thread for suggestions.
Looking forward to seeing your work product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS