New Member from Kitty Hawk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obxwoody

New User
Andy
Hello,

Andy Couey here. I found this site several weeks ago and now find myself frequenting it. The people are so kind and helpful, I am just getting started with wood working as a hobby and hope to learn a lot and this seams like a great network to help me with that. I like using my router a lot (although just when I feel I'm getting it, I screw something up...but that's normal right?) it's not fancy a PC 890 mounted in a wing on the table saw. I'd love to upgrade to the 7518 I think it is, and get a lift that costs more than the router. But I haven't been able to talk my wife into that just yet.

Personally I am a huge basketball fan, play pick up when I can. We have lived on the Outer Banks for 6 years, and my wife has for another 10-15...the downside to living at the beach is that everyone does water sports, and we have trouble sometimes getting enough for 5 on 5...My wife is a wedding photographer. She does 0 woodworking, and very limited DIY home projects, hehe. I manage a small jewelry company (hence my interest in jewelry box making) for my day time job. It's fun for me. I often feel like I am one of the few people out there who enjoy going to work! People are usually happy when purchasing jewelry! Our two retail shops are actually jewelry/gift shops, so we don't sell anything super fancy. Are there any jewelers in the group? Or any other gift shoppers? Lol! If anyone knows a great place for another shop feel free to lay it on me...(ok enough work plugs)

One of the things I hope to learn here is more about finishing projects. From sanding (I only recently learned that people actually use grits over 320, and into the several thousands, and even then I thought it was for metal...oops) I some how talked my wife into letting me buy a Fuji q4, (I spent days drooling over YouTube videos of refinishing everything from cabinets (which will be in my future in the next 24 months, to car and lawn mower parts, guitars, doors, and even a dishwasher...it just seemed able to cover anything I could ever want to do) I've used it on 2 projects so far...learning in progress but I think it's far easier than brushing on finishes...the hardest part is the waiting. I've also been wondering if spraying on the stain makes it even. I've noticed many of the members gravitate to using waxes, and rubs. In my peon brain I have been dreaming of laying down a fine glass like coat on some project soon...but I'm thinking I should learn more about the other finishes and methods of finishing.

The last few things about me. I am a perfectionist who rarely achieves my desired perfection. And I am always trying to think of how to do things better and/or more efficiently. For instance I'm planning on building my wife a jewelry box for Christmas, and have hopes to "mass produce" them for the shop... Unfortunately the how can I do that easily over and over and over with the same results...has kept me from getting....anywhere past my initial design/knock off.

Well enough about me. I'm here to meet y'all!! Ps any good reads you can recommend? I find I can do that when the body is too tired to do good work in the shop.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Welcome! I owe my wife a jewelry box. I've seen a lot of designs I like, but something else always seems to get in the way.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site, Andy. :) It's good to know folks from the coast that are into woodworking. I lived in Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach for a long time and that is where I got into it. I love the OBX and we actually visited Kitty Hawk a few months ago. In addition to woodworking, I'd strongly suggest getting into water sports. You live in one of the best areas on the East Coast for surfing. I had a blast up there surfing at the Kitty Hawk pier during our stay. (Tried to upload a photo, but I guess the gallery is down...)

Anyway, glad to have you here. Post some picks of your jewelry boxes, shop, etc whenever the gallery starts working again. :icon_thum

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Welcome Andy glad to have you with us. There are plenty of good folks here and there is always someone willing to share some knowlege. I am one of those who believes finishing can be a black art, but it is not hard to get a good finish with some simple techniques. There are a couple of books on finishing that many recommend.

Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner

Tautons Illustrated Guide to Finishing by Jeff Jewitt

Please do not be shy, feel free to ask any question and join in a conversation.

We love pictures and here are 2 links that will help explain how to upload pics to your gallery and post them.

To upload pictures

To post pictures

Obxwoody

New User
Andy
Welcome to the forum.

Red
Red Thanks! In my short tenure here I've noticed that you are very welcoming to all us newbies. I hope I can do some good here.

Welcome Andy.
Scott thanks, I love the quote in your signature thingy...I've never been a superior athlete but I have a lot of heart and a positive attitude...It has helped me achieve many things people have said can't be done. I wonder if that carries over into wood working I will have to pay attention to my attitude there...

Welcome to the site, Andy. Always glad to have new members.
Thanks Bill, I plan to provide some enthusiasm, the occasional grunt work, and gleen as much knowledge and experience as I can off everyone!

Welcome! I owe my wife a jewelry box. I've seen a lot of designs I like, but something else always seems to get in the way.
Thanks Chris I owe my wife a lot more than just a jewelry box but for now it will have to do eh...I'll actually be in N.Raleigh hopefully next week for a week or two helping my parents (foster parents) doing some upgrades/maintenance projects...I'd love to meet up and "help you" (read experiment on) with your wife's jewelry box first! I'm having trouble finding the hardware hooks to hang necklaces, I am trying to find a source for that, and small drawer pulls with the right look...

I love the OBX and we actually visited Kitty Hawk a few months ago. In addition to woodworking, I'd strongly suggest getting into water sports. You live in one of the best areas on the East Coast for surfing. I had a blast up there surfing at the Kitty Hawk pier during our stay.
Anyway, glad to have you here. Post some picks of your jewelry boxes, shop, etc whenever the gallery starts working again.
Trent, thanks! Did you stay at the Hilton? That's 1/2 mile from us my wife does A lot of weddings there! I find the beach to be so peaceful and refreshing. The ocean on the other hand scares me lol...I haven't surfed yet but I'm thinking I'm a natural ( either naturally good or naturally bad haha) either way I'm ok laughing at myself and having a good time! So far no boxes built, I could take pictures of my tools lol but they aren't much to brag about lol!

I am one of those who believes finishing can be a black art, but it is not hard to get a good finish with some simple techniques. There are a couple of books on finishing that many recommend
Thanks Bryan I will look into those right away! The winter is long out here at the beach and provides a lot more reading/shop time than the summer! And since the reading is generally far cheaper than the shop stuff...lol...I am out going enough to post and ignorant enough to ask questions, I just hope I don't offend anyone. (My sarcasm doesn't always come through in text haha gulp)

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome to the sawdust pile Andy...love to see some of your work. Best thing I ever did for finishing was taking a finishing class fro Greg Paolini. He is in Canton,NC.....well worth the trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS