New member and speaker builder

Gnospmoht

New User
George
I’m George, a new member and relatively new to Indian Trail NC. I’ve done woodworking much of my life, and about 20 years ago finished furnishing my woodworking shop. I’ve built kitchen cabinets for two homes and some furniture. But my favorite things to build are high end speaker cabinets. I have nine pair in my home that I built and I am working on the next 2 or 3 pair that I want to build. If you are a wood worker and might want some high end speakers without the high price tag, I’d be happy to share my experience and offer my help.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I’m George, a new member and relatively new to Indian Trail NC. I’ve done woodworking much of my life, and about 20 years ago finished furnishing my woodworking shop. I’ve built kitchen cabinets for two homes and some furniture. But my favorite things to build are high end speaker cabinets. I have nine pair in my home that I built and I am working on the next 2 or 3 pair that I want to build. If you are a wood worker and might want some high end speakers without the high price tag, I’d be happy to share my experience and offer my help.

Welcome! would love to see some how to videos and guides of your work to add to the site.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you are a wood worker and might want some high end speakers without the high price tag, I’d be happy to share my experience and offer my help.
Sounds like a great "how-to" article for the Resources forum. Please consider. We like pictures!

peltona

Andrew
User
Would love to see some of your speaker builds.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Are you into open baffle speakers at all?

I would like to build something along the lines of this:

1711578855370.png

Caladan

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I started in speaker building. Eventually built some "good enough" . Additionally, I am old enough my hearing is not as good as it was so I have built my last.
But, I have a lot of parts and my laboratory equipment if anyone is interested. I also have the AES anthologies 1-4 and many other books no longer available. I have a pretty good idea which measurement and CAD software works.
Speaker building ( done well) is an engineering practice. The woodworking part is trivial. All those folks who build beautiful boxes, and yea some are fantastic, don't spend the engineering time, numerous prototypes, measurements etc. I have learned a bit in over 40 years of speaker design. As an example, the serious design issues with diffraction with the picture Martin posted, let alone there is no way woofers that large can reach a tweeter that small. Never mind what happens when an OB is that close to a wall. Di-pole speakers are extremely difficult without serious DSP. Better off just buying Maggie's. Do you know what a 1/2 dB hump at 4300 sounds like? Hint, listen to any Billy Joel terribly mastered CDs.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I built some inverted horn corner cabinets with 18 inch instrument speakers, midrange, and piezo tweeters. I based the back port length on the lowest reproducible frequency of the bass drivers. Came out to about 12 feet. The drivers were rated for 200 watts but 10 watts would rattle the windows in my house. I never really got to run them at full power.

Didn’t bother with speakers again til the ones my son gave me disintegrated. So, I made a compact set for my shop. Kenwood 6.5“ two way in solid oak cabinets with about 9 feet of port. They are good enough for my old ears and will probably outlast me.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS