New Member and New Woodworker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Hello all, I'm a new member and looking forward to learning from the group. I hope I'll also be able to contribute over time, but I'll most likely show up as seeking advice at this stage. With my coming retirement, I'm finally setting up a small basement workshop and looking forward to building some skills using hand tools. I've always had a strong interest, but I've never made the investment of time. Now I am looking forward to correcting that.

For over 35 years, I've been largely an "armchair woodworker" who reads a lot but is not a maker. I do greatly enjoy living with well made handcrafted furniture and I greatly respect the skill with which it is made by people who have devoted the years to developing their craft. I never expect to approach the skill of the craftspeople who built the beautiful pieces in our home, but I look forward finally taking time to experience some of the process firsthand.

My first step is to clear some space in our basement, then build some sawhorses on which I can build a workbench. I'll be following Paul Seller's designs for both the sawhorses and the workbench because of the joinery involved with both designs. I figure I'll learn a lot about preparing my stock, planing, layout and accuracy of work in the process of these first projects. They also both require some good joinery!

Best wishes,
Rush

MikeH

New User
Mike
Welcome to NCWW Rush! We're really glad to have you and we love pics! Post pics of the shop in progress. It would be great to see your space.

Mike

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Welcome to the site Rush. Lots of great people here with lots of great ideas and knowledge to help out. Don't hesitate to ask anyone for help. If they don't have an answer you need, they will point you in the right direction!

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Thanks for the welcomes, Mike, Frank and Raymond. I appreciate it! I will come with questions and I'll try to post some pics for both workspace and projects as I come along.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
welcome to our little spot on the web Rush, glad to have you with us. There are lots of good folks here, so please do not be shy. Feel free to join in a conversation or ask any question.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Wlecome to the virtual dustpile, Rushton. Lots on know-how on workbenches around here, from reclaimed lumber to using solid core doord.

Boomer76

New User
Boomer
Welcome to the group Rush. Lots of great people with tons of knowledge. I've only been here a week and can't take it all in yet.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Rush!
You will likely not find another place on the web with the level of experience of this group!
I have grown in knowledge and friendship in the few short years I have been part of NCWW!

As everyone has said - ask questions, start a discussion, this is the best way to engage with this group.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Thanks, All. I appreciate the welcome! Posed a question last night and already have received a comment from LeftyTom.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Welcome Rush, you've joined the right group, we love questions, sharing and pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors