New kind of chainsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Thanks for posting this Mike.

A quick search revealed that the starter kit is around $60.00 and includes the bar, chain, and sharpener. That seems pretty reasonable to me. I wonder how many sharpening's a chain can have before it needs to be replaced. The chains are about $30.00 each. All in all, this looks like a good solution to the most inconvenient problem in using a chainsaw. It does seem that the system is designed for smaller saws primarily. I didn't do an extensive investigation of the sizes available, but it looks like it would fit my needs, as I am just an occasional user, and am not using a monster Stihl with a 48" bar.

Matt

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I didn't see any listed for Stihl, which is my brand. But, I know a lot of folks here us Husky and I saw a lot of model numbers for them.

Let us know if you get set up and how well it works. They seem to indicate that it also cuts faster than a standard chain.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Time is money... if you're under the gun to get something done, and you're loosing money by not being productive, then the cost of this seems pretty low to me. If I made my living holding one of those saws, I'd have one of those sharpeners around too.:thumbs_up

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree that it's a great innovation in chain saw sharpening.
It does, however, induce one to be less careful with their sawing technique. I was always taught to keep the saw out of the dirt to keep it sharp. The occasional mishap or nail notwithstanding, the inherent nature of most people using this system will be to become more careless in this area, consequently needing to resharpen more often, and, again, consequently, needing to buy another chain much sooner.
They did say you needed their special chain for the system, right? :eusa_thin

bluchz

bluchz
User
I run Oregon chains on Stihl Saws. In the past i have run Oregon bars on my Stihl saws. I also saw they had an 18" bar kit which is the size we run in for topping/limbing trees in the woods. I can't see using one of these in the woods as i sharpen the chain differently for hardwood and pine. I would compare sharpening a chain to cutting dovetails. the more you do it the easier it gets. I would be tempted if i were an occasional user.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I run Oregon chains on Stihl Saws. In the past i have run Oregon bars on my Stihl saws. I also saw they had an 18" bar kit which is the size we run in for topping/limbing trees in the woods. I can't see using one of these in the woods as i sharpen the chain differently for hardwood and pine. I would compare sharpening a chain to cutting dovetails. the more you do it the easier it gets. I would be tempted if i were an occasional user.
Good point! Cutting hardwoods would require a less aggressive raker cut. There isn't much way to adjust that with this system. It's just attach & push as I see it. Nonetheless, I do see them selling quite a few.
Sharpening a chain saw is like driving a car; if you drive long enough you'll have a flat tire. If you have enough flat tires, you'll learn not to drive over the nails. :gar-La;

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Other than method of attaching sharpener, there is nothing new here. I have four Sears saws that are over 40 years old that came with this chain. Sharpener was built into cover for clutch / blade. You can go through a bunch of chains VERY QUICKLY using sharpener. New sharpener uses diamonds rather than a stone. None of my saws still have this technology on them. Chain was more expensive and quickly was sharpened away. Never saw a pro logger using his system.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Mike,
We were at Lowe's yesterday and they had the a chain listed for Stihl. I did NOT see a bar listed for for Stihl.
The chains were about $28 and bars/sharpeners around $42.
I think I'll stick with what I have but it is an interesting concept.

mikeacg

New User
Mike
After looking at the video I checked out Amazon and they have 14" and 16" Stihl kits and chains (which is my brand of saw). I don't run my saws as much as I used to so it might be worth a try... Will still have to file my rip chains by hand so I'll stay in practice!
:icon_thumThanks for the info Mike!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS